Forum Discussion

ParashMagar
Contributing User
9 months ago
Solved

A challenge related to the treatment of the "Travel Allowance" payroll category

As you are aware, our payroll data is generated in a specific format which we aim to seamlessly import into MYOB. However, during the import process, we are encountering a problem with the "Travel Allowance" category. Unlike other categories, "Travel Allowance" is not based on the conventional unit and fixed rate model. Instead, the amount varies for each employee, making it incompatible with the unit-based multiplication approach.

Our current import process treats the "Unit" column in the provided data as a unit to be multiplied by the established fixed rate. This works well for most categories but does not suit the "Travel Allowance" category. The challenge lies in the fact that the travel allowance amounts are generated individually for each employee, and there is no fixed rate to apply.

To ensure accurate accounting and payroll calculations, we need to find a solution that allows us to treat the "Travel Allowance" amount as just that—an amount that should be directly imported without undergoing any unit-based multiplication.

• I had a similar thing that needed to be done a long time ago (Can't remember if it was for MYOB -probably)

The solution was to effectively switch the multiplier around, have the non-complying one be set at x1 and then have the incoming data have the varing number. 

edit: If I recall correctly we also had a problem with the source data not being able to do cents (dicimal points) so we had the source data come in in cents and had the multiplier convert it to dollars ie x1 became x0.01. 

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Freman
    Trusted Partner

I had a similar thing that needed to be done a long time ago (Can't remember if it was for MYOB -probably)

The solution was to effectively switch the multiplier around, have the non-complying one be set at x1 and then have the incoming data have the varing number. 

edit: If I recall correctly we also had a problem with the source data not being able to do cents (dicimal points) so we had the source data come in in cents and had the multiplier convert it to dollars ie x1 became x0.01. 

Earl_HD
    MYOB Moderator

Hi ParashMagar,

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the Community Forum! I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with Travel allowances. I really appreciate your patience and understanding about this issue, and I do apologize for the delayed response. I recommend on visiting this post that has the same issue you are having. Calculation for Travel allowance Payroll Category 

Thank you Freman for providing us a wonderful solution.
    Regards,
    Earl