Forum Discussion

22 days ago

creating cost centres for payroll

Hi everyone, need some help please.

I want to break up our payroll into business units instead of using the one 6-wages and salaries gl code that is linked. Has anyone separated this successfully ? I want to create a payroll group for technical support, sales and finance using different GL accounts.

I would appreciate any feedback

Thanks

3 Replies

Jemar_C
    MYOB Moderator

Hi steveconstantin,

Thanks for your post and yes, cost centres are like labels which you can assign to transactions. A cost centre might be a separate department or office within your company, or another business segment. For example, a business could use cost centres to represent different divisions such as accounts, marketing, sales and operations.

When entering a transaction, you can allocate one cost centre to it. You can then run reports for each cost centre. You may check out this link on how to set up and use different GL accounts.

Feel free to write a post if you need further assistance.

Cheers, 

Jem

• Hi Steve,

Before MYOB added cost centers we used to use the job system to manage department reporting.

Effectively a job becomes a department/cost center, when you enter a payroll you can assign the various payroll costs to any number of jobs.

By doing it this way you can also do department and sub department IE Delivery Department, and its sub departments Delivery Truck 1 & delivery Truck 2.

Hope this helps.