Forum Discussion

HMS
Contributing Cover User
2 years ago
Solved

Entering opening account balances with categories

Hi All,

I am starting a new company file in MYOB Accountright Premier.  

How do I assign a category for each opening balance?  We run two categories and assign a category to every transaction so that we can run a Category BS & PL.  If I cannot assign a category to an opening balance then my Category BS & PL will not be correct.

Many thanks

Glen

• Hi HMS 

Opening balances for accounts are generally entered through the Accounts>>Accounts Lists and selecting the corresponding account before entering in that balance.

Alternatively, some customers would enter these through a journal entry -- Accounts>>Record Journal Entry. Provided you have categories enabled this method would be how I would do those opening balances if I needed to add category information i.e. record a journal entry for the accounts involved on the one category and then another journal for the accounts for the next category. 

If you are unsure about the accounts, amounts and tax codes required for that journal entry would recommend speaking to an accountant in relation to that.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi HMS 

Opening balances for accounts are generally entered through the Accounts>>Accounts Lists and selecting the corresponding account before entering in that balance.

Alternatively, some customers would enter these through a journal entry -- Accounts>>Record Journal Entry. Provided you have categories enabled this method would be how I would do those opening balances if I needed to add category information i.e. record a journal entry for the accounts involved on the one category and then another journal for the accounts for the next category. 

If you are unsure about the accounts, amounts and tax codes required for that journal entry would recommend speaking to an accountant in relation to that.

HMS
      Contributing Cover User

Thank you Steven. Your advice to use a JE is most helpful.