Forum Discussion

Brad74
User
2 years ago

GST Cash Repot not displaying sales imported from Square

We import our cash and eftpos sales from our Square POS system using integration sofwtare Amaka.

We report GST on a cash basis. The cash and eftpos sales are not showing on the GST cash report.

The sales invoices all appear as closed. The GST accrual report is runnning correctly.

Any suggestions?

13 Replies

• Hi - I have this same issue. Did you ever manage to find a solution? I've been told to just manually adjust in my excel reports, but it's a nightmare reconciliation that I really shouldn't have to do!

• Thank goodness I'm not the only one with this issue. (this relates MYOB Business, not sure about others).

I have raised this exact case with both Amaka and MYOB - raised tickets with both companies - neither seem interested in fixing the issue and point the finger at the other party. 

It's really quite unbelivable that an integration of Square and MYOB will NOT allow you to report GST on a cash basis without some serious workarounds, in fact the issue is with any cash report (rather than accrual) eg P&L. How can one of the largest POS systems not have proper MYOB integration.

It's caused by "negative" line items applied to invoices/bills that the integration uses to import Square transaction - adding the line whilst zeroing the invoice/bill (and hence entering the double entry) does not appear to mark the bill/invoice as properly "paid" behind the scenes and therefore the items on the bill/invoice only ever appear in accrual reports and not cash ones - a invoice payment / supplier payment is needed to properly close the bill (dispite what MYOB reports in the summary).

As the invoice/bill remains not properly marked as paid, it will not show on the GST BAS report in cash mode, or ANY cash based report (eg P&L etc.). Amaka will claim this is the only way to do things because of the complexities of various payment methods with Square (eg it could also be from a voucher), I'm not so sure, so we now have a finger pointing game where it appears nobody is seeking to resolve the matter.

MYOB Invoice Total Amounts are Zero | Amaka

The very long workaround I have found works is as follows

• Go into each invoice generated by the integration (one for each day!)
    • Remove the negative amount line item that says paid from Square balance (hopefully that's your only negative line)
    • Save invoice
    • Create a full payment for the invoice, select bank account as Square balance and apply it. (you could perhaps apply one payment to several invoices if you wished rather than each one ensuring it doesn't span reporting periods)

Then for bills, do similar

• Go into each bill generated by the Square integration (usually this has Square's fees/charges)
    • Remove the negative amount line item that says paid from Square balance
    • Save
    • Record a full payment on the bill, selecting Square balance as the bank account (you could perhaps apply one payment to several bills if you wished rather than each one ensuring it doesn't span reporting periods)

Make sure the above is done for EVERY invoice/bill generated for this integration. Note there are no issues with the "transfer" transaction the Square integration creates to transfer from Square Balance to your nominated bank account.

I have then found cash reports should then reconcile correctly as the bills/invoices have been properly closed/paid with an invoice payment / bill payment rather than the negative line items.

Doreen_P
    MYOB Moderator

Hi, SimonL1 

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the MYOB Community Forum.

We're sorry for the delay in response. 

We truly appreciate you providing the resolution and workaround regarding the issue with GST Cash reports. It will help other users who might have the same issue to find a workaround. Thank you for supporting the MYOB Community Forum.

Best regards,

Doreen

Brad74
      User

Yes thank you Simon.

I agree quite unbelievable this matter is not being resolved.

While the workaround provides a solution editing every transaction is not a feasible option.

I do not have time to chase this further to ground. It is just another reason I will recommend my client to convert the MYOB to Xero, where I do not have the same issues.

SimonL1
        User

I have no doubt if the right heads from MYOB and Amaka get together they could resolve this, but the support from both parties is just woeful - (I've raised at least 3 or 4 bug requests with MYOB since I started using it this year and each time the response has been very very ordinary).

If Square integration works far better with Xero and reporting on a cash basis then I may have no option to move as well at the end of the year as the workaround takes just too much time. 

Doreen_P
    MYOB Moderator

Hi All

Thanks for your post.

This occurs because of the way data is transmitted through the integration, resulting in the payment being added as a negative line on the sale. To resolve this, you can either run the reporting on an accrual basis or delete the negative payment line on the transaction. Alternatively, you can manually enter the payment using the "take payment" feature.

Feel free to post again anytime if you require further assistance. 

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users in finding this information.

Best regards,

Doreen

SimonL1
      User

Certainly not solved, and certainly nothing about this limitation is displayed on all the MYOB pages promoting this integration.

If you did just live with it and use accrual then basically you accept you MYOB accounts are incorrect for ALL cash reports (not just GST).

I've reverted to

- Bank feed rule that allocates to a Square Balance asset account (type is a bank account). This picks up the daily square transfer.

- Querying Square and manually entering a "Receive Money" transaction that itemises income at the end of the month (could be done more often as per when you need reporting) with the bank account as Square Balance. You can also add a negative item into an expense account for the Square Fees.

- If you don't have any pending transfers at the end of the month the Square Balance should be $0 and you can check this in the bank reconciliation.

Of course this just adds a whole lot of manual work that the integration is supposed to eliminate.

I find it staggering that MYOB doesn't properly integrate with a payment system like Square. Someone should really look at this properly, the excuses are silly, it can almost be certainly fixed or simply don't promote the integration or state clearly that it will break cash reporting.

Doreen_P
        MYOB Moderator

Hi, SimonL1

We understand your frustration about Square sales missing from GST Cash Reports and the extra work it causes. We acknowledge limitations in the MYOB-Square integration and are actively working on improvements.

We've identified issues like incorrect deposit dates and are diligently working to fix them. We appreciate your patience as we work towards a solution that meets your needs. Your feedback is valuable and helps us improve!

Best regards,

Doreen