Forum Discussion

mistyben
Experienced User
8 months ago

MYOB desktop version

I've just been advised that as a loyal user and recommender of MYOB since the 1990's, because my serial number is a "professional partner"  serial number it will be cancelled and my client's data files will become "read only" meaning I'll be unable to provide my bookkeeping services any longer unless I upgrade them all to "online".

My clients have specifically instructed me that I am not to put their data online.  To add insult to injury other clients who have the desktop version V19.16 will be able to continue using their data files and confirm when required as they're not "professional partners" and their serial numbers arent affected

Has anyone else been advised who needs to remain active and on the desktop version

• Hi mistyben 

This sounds very unusual as I would expect that you have a perpetual licence for your Serial Number, regardless of being a Professional Partner. I had been been a Partner up until 2011 when I stopped paying MYOB because I hated the new versions of MYOB and I have continued using my MYOB v19 files (40 in total) ever since, which I confirm when required. I can process clients who are online with their own subscriptions by downloading the new versions but I don't personally need a subscription.  It is possible you are being coerced into paying for subscriptions that you don't need but I'm sure a Moderator on here could confirm whether you have to change or not..........

Cheers

Liz

mistyben
      Experienced User

Hi Liz

thanks for your comments below. 

You prompted me to search back in my archives and I found where i purchased the MYOB program with my credit card back in December 2003. 

Liz_A
        Valued User

Hi mistyben 

If MYOB do continue to say your SN will be cancelled, then please email me at majubawest@hotmail.com as I may have a solution for you.

Cheers

Liz

mistyben
    Experienced User

Hi everyone - truly appreciate all your comments and ideas. 

In the case of one of my clients, their company accountant has over-ruled my concerns and insisted they put their data online.  So-be-it.  I'm tired of trying to point out the shortfalls of the online version.  As for my other clients, I'm still happily using V19.16 desktop version and will do so for as long as it lets me confirm automatically.  For those with employees I use the online version for their payroll only. Sure - it means double entry in STP2 compliant version and 19.16 but happy to do this to keep their data where they want it. 

I was told by MYOB in no uncertain terms my 19.16 would reach end of life in December and whilst I have no data online, I wont be able to confirm my files anymore.  I'll address that for all my other clients when it happens. 

Totally disappointed that after some $24k spent in membership and subscriptions since around 2003, MYOB has abandoned small bookkeepers and BAS agent like myself.  I promoted and recommended the product to my clients, but never purchased for them and on-sold.  That's not the way I run my business.

Beach
      Partner

HI mistyben 

I hear you!.  I, like yourself, I have promoted and recommended MYOB since 2001.  I was an authorised reseller, but preferred to have them purchase their own directly, rather than through me.  I also don't run my business to profit from software recommendations (even though I also run a computer store).  I suspect that MYOB have earned literally thousands of dollars from my recommendations over the years. There is really no reason for them to stop allowing bookkeepers to use old MYOB. I also know many accountants who ask me to assist when they have a client bring in an old MYOB v18 file or similar.

I also agree that the online version of MYOB has shortfalls; many, many shortfalls!

It is unfortunate that you use the MYOB payroll offering for the client with payroll as there is totally legal 3rd party software that will suck the STP figures out of any MYOB file and report directly to the ATO.  MYOB tried to shut it down at the start, but I suspect that someone advised MYOB that using 3rd party software with MYOB is actually NOT illegal.  It is STP Creator by Namich Software.  It was developed in conjuction with Michael from FGH tables I believe.. South Australian business for Australians!  Very reasonable price and I had one client with about 250 complex pay employees who loved it. 

The FGH tables company also supply a confirmation tool for MYOB.  FGH are careful to ensure that they only supply genuine users like yourself and I.  We have a valid license agreement that is not being honoured by MYOB.  They refuse to sell to anyone they think is just trying to use a pirate copy of MYOB.  I recommend them highly to assist you in December.

cheers

Liz

Liz_A
      Valued User

Hi mistyben 

Good luck - there's always the third party solution if MYOB does stop confirming :)

Cheers

Liz

• Hi mistyben   I had a phone call yesterday from MYOB telling me the same thing. I didn't take the call as it was actually a public holiday in Qld yesterday. After listening to the  the MYOB rep left, I am rather peeved to say the least.   I purchased a full serial number over 20 years ago and the information I had when I became a professional partner was that my serial number was perpetual as I purchased prior to becoming a Professional Partner.  I only have a few clients using version 19, so it isn't like MYOB are going to make a lot of money by forcing my clients into online versions that they do not want online. Only 1 of them uses payroll anyway and the STP is being handled, legally, by 3rd party software. MYOB wouldn't make any money anyway, as my clients would rather use a spreadsheet than sign up to any MYOB offerings.  I suspect it is just another ploy by MYOB to coerce people into the subscription model.  Some here on the forum know full well that I have proof that MYOB business plan is to get everybody into a subscription model.  Then they can increase the subs whenever they want more profit (all the time) as it will be extremely hard for their clients to move elsewhere.

Liz (BAS Agent and C. Dec.)

Liz_A
      Valued User

Hi Beach 

It appears that you are still paying MYOB as a Professional Partner and the others who have been told this are also Cover users. I cancelled my Partner membership years ago and haven't heard a peep from MYOB about cancelling so it does feel like coercion of Cover/Partner users. I seem to recall, that you are aware of the history with MYOB trying to force users onto their subscription model and the backtracking that resulted after threats of a Class action. There is still a third party option to confirm if MYOB does decide to ignore their previous commitment to continue confirmation of perpetual files. I still have MYOB v13.5 as well, so could revert to this version if necessary :)

Cheers

Liz

Beach
        Partner

Hi Liz_A .  I don't pay MYOB anything other than a couple of client subscriptions on their behalf.. My file is still the desktop version as I have no need for the online rubbish either..lol.  I already have the 3rd party confirmation tool, but have sent MYOB a 'please explain' email anyway.  It is such a disappointment that a software company I used to love and recommended to so many people now treat me like the enemy.  They have literally made thousands out of my recommendations over the years.  I won't be recommending them any more.   Yes, I also have installation files for most of the older versions in case I need to look at any very old files for clients.  Thanks for your input.

cheers,

Liz B

poppies230762
      Experienced Cover User

Hi Beach.  I have wasted 3 hours now trying to figure out what is happening i.e. I can not open my AccountRight V19.16 data files - it comes up with "initialisation error".  I have removed the program from my computer and reinstalled it and still the same issue.  Have MYOB done something in the last few days to disable the use of V19.16?  I have been using the desktop version of this program for about 32 years!!  I have a couple of clients that I need to pay the online subscription for due to SMTP but some that I don't and today I can not open my V19.16 files.  Is that what happend to you?

Liz_A
        Valued User

Hi poppies230762 

If you can't resolve it via Liz B's solution or searching the web, then contact FGH Tables for a solution - they do charge a fee but are really good with solving Classic issues. I use them for many client problems.

Cheers

Liz

• hi poppies230762   I suspect that might be a totally different problem.  My files are still working just fine, it was just a MYOB person phoning me to say that the files would not confirm at some time soon.  Did you happen to do a Windows update just before this happened?

I just found this on the forum from a couple of years ago... but it may be your problem.. Hopefully this fixes for you.. 

Hi Shaz

Just went back and looked at previous posts re this problem and retried the following

The steps outlined

-Open the System Properties control panel applet (fastest method is right click Start > Run > type 'sysdm.cpl')
    -Go to the Advanced tab and click on Settings... under Performance.
    -Go to the Data Execution Prevention tab, click Add... and navigate to "Myob.exe" wherever you installed -AccountRight ,  (your executable file may have a different name). Press Apply and finish.

My MYOB now works. :-)