Forum Discussion

AnaW
User
11 months ago

TPAR Reporting

Issue with lodgement of TPAR Report. Error received 
Reason: Line 310. The file contains non-ASCII characters. To lodge a file electronically you must first create a file that is generated from your software in a format and version supported by our systems. Scanned images or forms, screen prints, spreadsheets and word processing files (for example .pdf, .doc, .xls, .jpg, .tiff) cannot be lodged via the file transfer function on our portals. More information can be found at: www.ato.gov.au/filetransfer or contact your software developer.
I am unable to view the report in Notepad++ and have called for help who advised to re-enter all suppliers. MYOB were also unable to view the report in the latest version of Notepad++.  We have roughly 1500 suppliers and are unable to identify which ones are affected. After 6 hours on the phone yesterday, I was promised a call back this morning at 8.00am but nothing yet. 

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi AnaW 

The TPAR.C01 file has 5 header lines followed by Payee lines, so line 310 is payee 305 in your file. I would start with the address fields. MYOB allows 2 or more lines in an address field (even if one is blank). The 2nd line will however cause problems with your TPAR.C01 file. Or it might be a name like Café.

Regards

Gavin

Earl_HD
    MYOB Moderator

HI AnaW,

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear that you were not able to lodge your TPAR Report. I really appreciate your patience and understanding about this issue, and I do apologize for the delayed response. The error message you received when lodging a TPAR (Taxable Payments Annual Report) indicates that the file you are trying to submit contains non-ASCII characters, and the ATO's system requires a specific format for electronic lodgment. To resolve this issue and successfully lodge your TPAR report, follow these steps:

Review Your Report Data:

• Before making any changes, review your TPAR report data to identify any non-ASCII characters. These characters may include special symbols, accents, or characters from languages other than English.

Check Software Settings:

• If you are using accounting or tax software to generate your TPAR report, check the software's settings and options for generating reports. Ensure that you are using the correct file format and encoding settings.

Replace Non-ASCII Characters:

• If you find non-ASCII characters in your report, replace them with their ASCII counterparts or remove them if they are not necessary for the report's accuracy. Non-ASCII characters can include characters from foreign languages or special symbols.

Save the Report in Supported Format:

• Ensure that you save your TPAR report in a format and version supported by the ATO's systems. Typically, this format will be a plain text file, such as a .txt or .csv file, with ASCII characters.

Test the File:

• Before attempting to lodge the report with the ATO again, test the file to ensure it no longer contains non-ASCII characters and is saved in the correct format. Open the file in a text editor or spreadsheet program to verify its content.

Submit the Corrected Report:

• Once you have confirmed that the report is free of non-ASCII characters and in the correct format, use the ATO's portal or electronic lodgement system to submit the corrected report. Follow the ATO's instructions for submitting TPAR reports electronically.

Keep a Backup:

• Always keep a backup of your original report data in case you need to reference or re-create it.

By following these steps and ensuring that your TPAR report is free of non-ASCII characters and in the correct format, you should be able to successfully lodge your report with the ATO without encountering the error message. 

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help.
    Regards,
    Earl