Forum Discussion

ACorp's avatar
ACorp
Experienced Cover User
11 months ago
Solved

TPAR report failed to lodge

Our 2023 TPAR has failed to lodge.

 

I have opened the report in Notepad to try identify the error.

I have removed all visible non ASCII characters (in particular forward slash  i.e Unit 1 / 789 Street, which has never been an issue in the past) but teh report is till failing to lodge.

Each time I try to re-lodge, a new line is listed as the error by the ATO, and I can't identify the actual line because Notepad sees the entire report as one line. 

 

I did email the MYOB Support team asking if they would review our TPAR to try identify the error - and no suprises, I have not had any response. 

 

I would like to know if MYOB changed something within their software that now clashes with the ATO's as this is the first time in 9 years that I have had the report fail to lodge and have not changed the way I enter new suppliers in the last year. 

 

Is anyone else having issues? 

 

  • Hi ACorp 

     

    I advise against editing a TPAR.C01 file using notepad. Every 'line' has to be a specific length and each field in a specific place, one character off and the report will fail lodgement or have lots of errors.

     

    To help locate the offending character, deduct 5 from the line number and this will give you the number of the Payee affected. View that payee in MYOB, plus one either side to see if you can find the issue.

     

    A forward space might not be the cause. More likely to be a 'new line' in a MYOB address field. MYOB allows you to have multiple lines for address fields, the ATO does not. Make any fixes in your MYOB file and generate a new TPAR file.

     

    Regards

    Gavin

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi ACorp 

     

    I advise against editing a TPAR.C01 file using notepad. Every 'line' has to be a specific length and each field in a specific place, one character off and the report will fail lodgement or have lots of errors.

     

    To help locate the offending character, deduct 5 from the line number and this will give you the number of the Payee affected. View that payee in MYOB, plus one either side to see if you can find the issue.

     

    A forward space might not be the cause. More likely to be a 'new line' in a MYOB address field. MYOB allows you to have multiple lines for address fields, the ATO does not. Make any fixes in your MYOB file and generate a new TPAR file.

     

    Regards

    Gavin

    • ACorp's avatar
      ACorp
      Experienced Cover User

      Hi Gavin, 

       

      Thank you for your suggestion (count back 5 from line listed as error). It worked and I could idently the relevant supplier card. 

       

      For some reason, when the supplier card was imported into MYOB from our construction software, a tab space was inserted in the middle of the first line of the address, thereby creating a 'gap' in the address.

      This was strange because the extra spacing is not on the supplier card in our construction software. 

       

      But, none the less, the extra spacing was removed from the card in MYOB and the new TPAR lodged succesfully. 

       

      Thanks again!

       

      Regards, 

      Heather 

       

       

      • Isaiah_C's avatar
        Isaiah_C
        MYOB Moderator

        Hi ACorp,

         

        Thank you for your patience and I'm sorry for the delayed response. Thank you for the information and for doing the steps that was provided by gavin12345. It's great to hear that it's now resolved. If you have any concerns in the future, please feel free to post in our Community Forum.

         

         

        Please let me know if you need further help.

         

        Kind regards,

        Sai

    • ACorp's avatar
      ACorp
      Experienced Cover User

      Hi Gavin,

       

      Thank you for you reply.

       

      I should have explained myself better. I had opened the TPAR report in Notepad and did a search for non ASCII characters and then removed them in MYOB and ran a new TPAR report and lodged it – which still failed.

       

      I will try your method and deduct 5 from the line number to try locate the cause.

       

      Regards, 

      Heather