Forum Discussion

SusanMcC
Experienced Cover User
3 years ago

General Journals - Debit and Credit with GST code FRE

When I post a general journal that has an income and an expense that are both the same GST code it does not include the transaction in the GST Detail report therefore the income and purchase are not included in the totals the BAS.  How do I get the amounts into the GST reports?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    SamaraM
    Former Staff

Hi SusanMcC 

Thank you for your post. This can happen if the general journal is directly posted to a GST linked account. Can you check the linked accounts under lists -> tax codes?

If it is not the linked account can you attach the report and journal as a screenshot (redacting any sensitive information) so I can replicate on my end? 

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

SusanMcC
      Experienced Cover User

Yes the accounts are both GST linked.  One is a cost of goods sold account GST free and the other an income account also GST free.  Neither of these are reported in the GST detail report under the GST Free income or expenses.  Is there a way to post the journal so that both items appear in the GST detail report?

SamaraM
        Former Staff

Yes, you could do a journal entry.
        Here are the instructions on how to create a GJ in AccountRight:
        1. Open the Accounts in the command centre window.
        2. Open Record Journal Entry.
        3. Enter the date of the entry.

4. Enter a Memo describing the journal entry.
        5. Select if the entry is Tax Inclusive.
        6. Select if the entry is a Year-End Adjustment. 

7. In the Acct No. field, select one of the accounts you want to adjust.
        8. Enter the amount you want to adjust in the appropriate column.
        9. If the entry relates to a job, enter the job number.
        10. If you want to record a comment about the account you’ve selected, enter it in the Memo column.
        11. If the entry affects your BAS (GST) return, select the appropriate tax GST code.
        12. On the next row, select another account that you want to adjust and then complete the relevant details for each column.
        13. If you selected codes in the Tax (GST) column other than N-T, select whether the adjustment relates to sales or purchases:
          sales and purchases options
        14. Click Record.

For more information please refer to our help articles on posting journals:

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.