Forum Discussion

shau
Experienced Cover User
5 years ago
Solved

Receiving money that is not income: credit note?

I received $2000 from my mum intended to support my business, but I would not regard this as not income, but rather, an interest-free loan or potentially even a gift if the business fails and I can't repay her.  How should this be recorded?  Do I create a credit note in the receiving bank account, with a transaction tax code of N-T?

• Hi shau 

The deposit does not involve GST, so the code would be N-T. 

If you are a Sole Trader, you will have an Equity Account 3-XXXX called Owners Contribution or something similar. Use this account.

If you operate via a Company or Trust, you should have a Liability Account 2-XXXX called Loan - (Your Name). Record the deposit to that account.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi shau 

Thanks for your post. In a situation like this it is best to speak with your accountant on how to handle this transaction. 

Feel free to use the forum if you have any other questions. 

shau
      Experienced Cover User

Theresa_D wrote:

Hi shau 

Thanks for your post. In a situation like this it is best to speak with your accountant on how to handle this transaction. 

Feel free to use the forum if you have any other questions. 

Theresa_D  That was really unhelpful.  Not everyone can afford a tax accountant and what I'm asking is a really basic and simple question that doesn't really have any nuance.

GDay53
        Ultimate Partner

shau 

Theresa_D  is correct in that any advice on Tax codes can only be given by a Registered BAS or Tax Agent.

Anyone elese would be in breach of the Tax Laws.

If you are in business then you should have both a good BAS Agent / Bookkeeper and a good Tax Accountant.

In regard as to how to record the money if it is a loan then it needs to be recorded as such as a liability.

If not then the question becomes is it a capital investment?

As a capital investment it would be entered as either Liability or Equity.