Forum Discussion

Kat4
Experienced User
3 years ago
Solved

Suspense Account

I have made a payment but I'm still waiting for the boss to get an invoice for the transaction and then I can allocate it to the correct expense.  I've been told to put the payment in a suspense account until later because I need to recocile bank statements so I can do the BAS.  

I have never used a suspense account and I'm not sure how to set this up or how that will affect the BAS as I don't know if it will have GST on it or not.

Any advise on this?

Thanks

• Hi Kat4 

I set up a Suspense account as a 2-9999 Liability Account, Type Credit Card. Others like to have it as an Other Expense Account on the P&L 9-9999

Set up the Suspense Account, and then code the payment to that account using the N-T tax code. When you find out what it was for, if still in the GST period, you can edit the transaction with the correct account and GST code. If you have already closed the period, or lodged a BAS for the period the transaction is in, you should record a General Journal debiting the correct account, and crediting Suspense, using the current GST quarter date such as 1/10/21.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    IanChait
    Ultimate Partner

Hi Kat4 

I set up a Suspense account as a 2-9999 Liability Account, Type Credit Card. Others like to have it as an Other Expense Account on the P&L 9-9999

Set up the Suspense Account, and then code the payment to that account using the N-T tax code. When you find out what it was for, if still in the GST period, you can edit the transaction with the correct account and GST code. If you have already closed the period, or lodged a BAS for the period the transaction is in, you should record a General Journal debiting the correct account, and crediting Suspense, using the current GST quarter date such as 1/10/21.

Kat4
      Experienced User

Thanks Ian, I will try this and see what the Accountant says - hopefully it will be sorted before end of reporting period.