4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Owners Personal Expenses

Hi 

Can someone please tell me if an owner uses his business account for all personal payments. How do you allocate this? Accountant said it should all be consultancy fees. I just need to know what I need to setup in MYOB to record these drawings.

7 REPLIES 7
Earl_HD
MYOB Moderator
3,396 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,396Posts

116Kudos

271Solutions

Re: Owners Personal Expenses

Hi @Diana7,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Community Forum! In this type of scenario, we recommend reaching out to an accountant for an accurate solution. However, for a general idea, you can set up a bank account (1-XXXX) called Owners Funds/Personal Funds and pay those expenses to that account. Then, at the end of the month or quarter, you can do a journal entry to transfer the balance of that account to the equity account. For any purchases or withdrawals from the business account, simply code them to your equity account.

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help! 

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Regards,
Earl

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

Diana7
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you much appreciated.

Diana7
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Actually one other question. The previous person doing the accounts, was adding GST to drawings which the accountant said was a way of paying personal tax. If I was to set up as per your suggestion would this still work? Thank you

Genreve_S
MYOB Moderator
2,911 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,911Posts

90Kudos

387Solutions

Hi @Diana7

Thanks for the response. 

Based on the information available, adding GST to drawings is not a standard practice. Drawings are generally considered owner's withdrawals and are not typically subject to GST. However, tax laws can vary and it's always best to consult with a professional accountant or tax advisor for personalized advice.

As for your proposed method of setting up a bank account for Owner's Funds/Personal Funds and paying expenses to that account, it seems like a plausible way to manage personal expenses. However, it's important to note that this method should be used in compliance with the appropriate tax laws and accounting standards.

I strongly recommend consulting with a professional accountant or tax advisor to ensure that these practices align with the current tax laws and regulations.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Genreve

Diana7
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you, i jave spoken with the accountant and the owner actually consults himself back to the business hence the GST, he does not render an invoice to the business he just draws out money when required. He also puts all personal expenses via the business.

I want to be able to distinguish business items and personal items so when the accountant does his BAS it is all included.

i have been able to workout what is private and what is business.

Im just not sure of the setup in MYOB.

thanks 

Princess_R
MYOB Moderator
3,190 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,190Posts

118Kudos

490Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Diana7,

Thanks for your response.

It's great to hear that you've already had a discussion with the accountant about this matter! Distinguishing between business and personal expenses is crucial for accurate financial reporting, especially when it comes to filing your BAS.

Understanding what falls under business and personal categories is a big step, and now it's all about implementing the right setup in MYOB to reflect that distinction. I'll share some related inquiries from the Community Forum posts that I've checked, which should offer you some helpful guidance:

Additionally, you may also find this Help article, Expenses for Business and Private Use, which may provide guidance. However, it is always recommended to speak with your accountant.

Feel free to create a new post again if you need further assistance.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Cheers,

Princess

DuncanS
Ultimate Partner
1,935 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,935Posts

549Kudos

168Solutions

@Diana7 @Princess_R @Genreve_S @Earl_HD 

I believe the first question is what type of entity exists?

Sole Trader or Company

A Sole Trader cannot pay themselves a Salary.

Nor would one think a Sole Trader could pay themselves a Consultants Fee.

GST started in July 2000.

A Input Credit cannot be claimed for Personal Expenses eg N/T code is used.

Let me know.

Duncan

Duncan Smith
Business Advice + Tax
Helping business owners build a better business since 1998
E duncan@businessadvicetax.com.au T 02 9904 3672 7 days

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post