Forum Discussion

9 months ago
Solved

Employee leaving country continuing to work remotely - how manage employee card and tax?

One of our staff is heading to NZ to live but will continue to work for us remotely.   I have looked online and discovered due to the reciprocal relationship between the governments the PAYGW in Au...
    9 months ago

Hi CellarbratRiv.

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been facing. I really appreciate your patience and understanding about this issue, and I do apologize for the delayed response. To address your inquiry, I recommend consulting with a tax professional or accountant, or seeking legal advice to ensure full compliance. However, here are some fundamental details to consider.

Managing an employee who relocates and continues to work remotely from there in MYOB involves several considerations. Since tax regulations can be complex, it's essential to follow proper procedures to ensure compliance. 

Update Employee Details:

• Update the employee's address and employment details in MYOB to reflect their new location in New Zealand.

Tax Residency Determination:

• Confirm the employee's tax residency status. Since they will be residing and working in New Zealand, they are likely considered a tax resident of New Zealand and should declare their foreign income there.

PAYG Withholding:

• You should change the PAYG Withholding tax to zero for this employee. This indicates that no tax should be withheld in Australia as they are no longer an Australian resident for tax purposes.

TFN Declaration:

• If the employee has previously completed a TFN (Tax File Number) declaration for Australian tax purposes, they may need to complete a new declaration or update their details to reflect their new tax status as a non-resident.

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help.
    Regards,
    Earl