Matching over/under wages payment to payroll ..

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
sandersonlj
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Matching over/under wages payment to payroll ..

Is there a way to match a payment in banking transactions to a payroll entry that does not equate to the payroll data? That is the payment may be under or over the payroll amount.  I can get to the point of matching the payment but am not able to allocate the remaining balance. It is not an option to go back and redo the wages. thanks

6 REPLIES 6
IanChait
Ultimate Partner
1,443 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,443Posts

275Kudos

231Solutions

Re: Matching over/under wages payment to payroll ..

Hi @sandersonlj 

You cannot change the payroll entry to match the bank if they are different. You will need to use a Payroll Clearing Account.

Creat a Clearing Account, as a Type Bank Account. Under Set Up>>Preferences >>Linked Accounts>>Payroll Accounts, link the Bank Account for Cash Payments to the Payroll Clearing Account.

Open the Payroll transaction, and change the Payment Method to Cash, and the record the transaction. This will post the payment to the clearing account. Now in bank feeds, code the actual payment to the Payroll Clearing Account as well.

You will need to make an adjustment to the Payroll Clearing Account to clear out the balance.

Regards
Ian Chait CA
Certified Consultant Melbourne
P/M 0417 479 585
Email ian@myfc.com.au

sandersonlj
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks for the information, but I am still needing help as I can't find where the Set up is for preferences etc....I am pretty new to using MYOB, I can set up the extra bank/payroll account but thats as far as I can get. I am using MYOB essentials. Would really appreciate further input. 

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @sandersonlj 

Ideally, you would be paying the same amount that is paid to the employee in MYOB Essentials. However, there are processes that can be used if the employee has been over or underpaid.

For underpayments, typically, you want to:

1. Delete the payroll transaction that has been processed
  2. Navigate to the employee's record
  3. Within the Employee detials>>Banking section, you would select the Split pay between two accounts.
  4. Enter the desired split i.e. the underpaid amount and the remaining
  5. Save the Employee record
  6. Re-process the pays

The above process will generate two banking transactions in the bank account to which you can match to the underpayment and the correcting bank transaction (when processed).

Overpayments a little more tricker, the process I would use is:

1. Create a holding bank account. Business Name Menu>>Accounts Lists>>Add accounts - give the account a number, name and set the account type to be bank.
  2. Once that account has been created, set that account to be the Bank Account for Paying Wages - Business Name Menu>>Payroll Settings
  3. Delete the pay if already processed
  4. Reprocess the pays. This will put those pays into that new bank account
  5. Process a Banking>>Spend money transaction from the main bank account to that holding account for the amount actually paid.
  6. When the money is returned you would do a Banking>>Recieve money transaction to that main bank account with the allocation account being the holding/newly created account.

If the amounts are to be deducted from a future payment you use the same process as above for those pays minus Step 6. 

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

sandersonlj
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks so much for your information but this is an old payroll, last financial year actually so I will not be amending, rather just trying to allocate part payment as per payroll with the balance elsewhere.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @sandersonlj 

If deleting the transactions is not an option you would be looking at recording a series of banking transactions to remove the payroll amounts from that account to a holding account and then process transactions back to the bank account in the way it was paid.

I've outlined the process I would use below:

1. Create a holding account - Business Name Menu>>Accounts Lists>>Add account -- Give the account a number, name and set the account type to be Bank.
  2. Record a Banking>>Receive Money transaction from the Main bank account to the holding account for the amount that was paid via that payroll transaction. This cancels out the withdrawal of that payroll funds from that account.
  3. Record a Spend Money transaction from the Main Bank account with the allocation account being the holding account for the amount actually paid. This will generate a withdrawal in the bank account which can be matched to that payroll transaction.
  4. When the residual amount is paid, it would be another Spend Money transaction the same as Step 3 but for the amount that was actually paid.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

sandersonlj
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you for your help, its appreciated.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post