Forum Discussion

rochelle98
Contributing User
3 years ago
Solved

Importing inventory items error - specifying expense account for tracking costs

Hello,

I am attempting to import a list of items into accountright so we can set up inventorising, and am returning the below error:

Error -4012: You must specify an expense account for tracking costs

I have exported the current item list, changed the item codes, added in 'I Inventorise' and the relevant COGs/Asset account.

Is this a company wide setting i need to change, or is there something i've missed in the CSV file?

Mike_James
    3 years ago

Hi rochelle98 , all the right data seems to be there, but I question the order of columns, which doesn't appear to match a typical item export. I've seen in earlier cases that this can lead to import errors. Can you re-order the columns in line with an item export, and try again?

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Mike_James
    Ultimate Partner

Hi rochelle98 , you cannot add the "I inventory" option either manually or via import, once the item has transactions on it. What people often do is export the existing items, set them up as you want, then manually add a prefix to all the existing items (because the item number cannot be changed via importing), so "ABCD" becomes eg "Z-ABCD"), then take a backup and import the items with their new definition. 

rochelle98
      Contributing User

Hello Mike,

Yes thats correct.

Sorry i forgot to mention i have changed the updated the existing product codes in myob with a prefix so i can reimport the codes as new items to inventorise as per the below.

Have you seen the error code below before?

Error -4012: You must specify an expense account for tracking costs

I'm just unsure as to what this relates to so that i can rectify it.

Thanks!