Sales Invoice shows a Negative Balance but is not shown in Returns and Credits tab

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Clinton_ELA
Experienced User
44 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

44Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Sales Invoice shows a Negative Balance but is not shown in Returns and Credits tab

I have a Sales Invoice with a Negative Balance showing in the Amount Due section, but the credit does not show in the Returns and Credits tab.

Whats is causing this issue and how can it be fixed?

We had a customer pay for an order in advance.

The payment was processed agains the order and the amount put to the Customer Desposits account.

When the order was turned to an invoice, there was a backorder.

The full deposit was put agains the order, causing a credit amount.

Now the Backorder has been processed, but the Credit amount from the first invoice is only reflected when opening the invoice.  There is no credit amount in the Returns and Credits tab, preventing the 2nd invoice from being cleared.

Has anyone had this issue before and how can it be balanced and cleared?  

10 REPLIES 10
SamaraM
1,925 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,925Posts

0Kudos

236Solutions

Re: Sales Invoice shows a Negative Balance but is not shown in Returns and Credits tab

Hi @Clinton_ELA 

Thank you for your post. When looking at the Returns and Credits tab, it will only show credits that haven't been assigned to anything. Have you gone through the account and checked if it hasn't been assigned to another invoice accidentally?

If you still can't find the credit, could you send a screenshot through showing the 3 transactions so I can replicate it on my end? 

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Regards,
Samara

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Clinton_ELA
Experienced User
44 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

44Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Re: Sales Invoice shows a Negative Balance but is not shown in Returns and Credits tab

Hi Samara

In the attached file you can see the invoices listed in the Open Invoices tab.

It shows TWO open invoices.

The first invoice had the FULL deposit applied against it when the order was turned into an invoice.

In the Open Invoices tab, it shows this invoice has a DUE amount of USD3635.40, but when you open the invoice as shown on page 2.  It shows there is a NEGATIVE amount due of USD807.60 with an APPLIED to Date amount of USD4443.

The invoice value was USD3635.40 and the amount paid was USD4443.

This should have given me a Credit amount of USD807.60, but this amount is NOT listed on the RETURNS & CREDITS tab. And that is the problem.

The credit amount can only be seen when you open the invoice (page 2).

Page 3 shows the transactions after clicking the HISTORY button.

I need to get the credit amount onto the RETURNS & CREDITS tab so that I can settle the 2nd invoice shown on page 1.

Let me know if you need more details and if you can suggest a fix.

Thanks,

SamaraM
1,925 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,925Posts

0Kudos

236Solutions

Hi @Clinton_ELA 

Thanks for providing that additional information. As another point of troubleshooting could you try the following:

1. Take a Back up of your online file then Restore the backup to the AccountRight library on your computer. 
  2. Create a payment for that invoice as a test e.g. Just put the payment as $1.
  3. Check the Returns & Credits tab and see if that credit has been created.
  4. If you do see it, can you delete the original payment and re-enter it.
  5. If that then comes through, then do the same on your live file. 

Let me know how you go, and if the above does not work, could you send a screenshot of the Returns & Credits screen?

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Regards,
Samara

MYOB Community Support

Clinton_ELA
Experienced User
44 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

44Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Hi Samara

I tried your suggestion but it still did not put a credit amount into the Returns & Credits tab.

All that happen is the Credit amount shown at the end of the invoice changed from -807 to -808.

Attached is a screenshot of the "Open Invoices" Tab and the "Returns & Credits tab", plus the invoice with the issue.

SamaraM
1,925 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,925Posts

0Kudos

236Solutions

HI @Clinton_ELA 

Thanks for sending that through.

Can I also check when you applied the payment, did it come up with a window saying "You have outstanding credit memos on file with this customer" ?

Can you also respond with the last 4 digits of your Serial Number?

Regards,
Samara

MYOB Community Support

Clinton_ELA
Experienced User
44 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

44Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

There was no Window pop up message about the credit when we change the order to an invoice.

Ive sent the serial number details in a private message.

lyndellt
2 Posts
User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi, please advise what the fix was as I have the same problem.

It has now happened twice.  Both times it was a foreign currency sales order that had the full payment allocated to the Sales Order.  Then the Sales Order had to be split as an item was on backorder.

Once split the completed Sales Invoice instead of appearing in the Returns & Credit screen, it was listed in the Open Invoices screen. But when you opened the invoice it showed a credit balance.

Thanks

Lyndell

Clinton_ELA
Experienced User
44 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

44Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Hi Lyndell

You need to speak to MYOB.

The MYOB IT team ran a script on our data file that fixed the problem.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Clint

SamaraM
1,925 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,925Posts

0Kudos

236Solutions

Hi Lyndell (@lyndellt)

Thank you for your post. Were you able to run through the workaround I mentioned above? If it is still not resolved after trying that, could you proved a screenshot or some more context on what is happening in your case?

Regards,
Samara

MYOB Community Support

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post