Forum Discussion

CC4
User
3 years ago
Solved

Payroll Tax - Payroll Category Missing

Good Afternoon,   I was in the process of setting up the Payroll Tax Information section of MYOB AccountRight and it asks to select all the payroll categories to be included as Taxable Wages. I no...
    3 years ago

HI CC4 

I understand that you are based in Victoria. From what I can see of the Victoria State Government website it defines:

What are wages?

Wages are defined under the Payroll Tax Act 2007 (the Act) and include:

Exempt wages

Some wages are exempt from payroll tax. These include:

• Primary and secondary caregiver leave (formerly adoption and maternity parental leave).
    • Commonwealth paid parental leave scheme.
    • Contributions to redundancy benefit schemes.
    • Wages paid to employees absent from work to volunteer as firefighters or respond to other emergencies.
    • Wages paid to a person while on military leave as a member of the Defence Forces. 
    • Bone fide redundancy or early retirement payments.
    • Wages paid from non-profit group training organisations - from 1 July 2018, this also includes for-profit group training organisations.

From my reading of that, it does indicate that wages are included, however, there is no documentation that I have been able to find that employee additional superannuation payments, which are an after-tax deduction, are not designed to be included.

My recommendation would be to consult the Victoria State Government to indicate that and reference the website where that is listed. Once we have that information we can go back to the required team for further investigation. However, based on what I can see the software is doing the appropriate values are including those wages amount in that Report.

Should you wish to not include those values it would be a manual process of reducing the Wages/Salaries amount by that amount to give you the new defined Wages/Salaries which can be used in the rest of the calculation manually.