Forum Discussion

NH1980
User
2 years ago
Solved

Is there a summary of what account category to select please?

Hi,

Most are obvious like sales, advertising & marketing etc but is there a summary of all of the categories and when to use them?

Thank you

• Hi NH1980 

Yes, those are accounts and are listed in Accounting>>Chart of accounts. There are the account classifications that I listed previously. You can create your own detail accounts or use the ones already set up to allocate transactions to.

For example:

If you have two bank accounts you can create an assest account for each bank account:

1-1100 - Everyday bank account

1-1200 - Savings bank account

If your business was selling water you could set up income accounts to track the income for the different types:

4-1100 - spring water

4-1200 - carbonated water

The accounts you allocate transactions to determines the financial reporting of your business, as such, if you're not sure it is recommended that you discuss this with your accountant.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi NH1980 

Thanks for your post. If you're refering to the Chart of accounts the basic classifications are:

• 1-xxxx Asset
    • 2-xxxx Liability
    • 3-xxxx Equity
    • 4-xxxx Income
    • 5-xxxx Cost of sales
    • 6-xxxx Expenses
    • 8-xxxx Other income
    • 9-xxxx Other expenses

The Help Article, Accounts List, has detailed information on each of those classifications. If you're not sure which account to allocate transactions to you would need to check with your accountant.

If I have misunderstood your question or you need further help please let me know.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

NH1980
      User

Thank you.

It's a drop down menu and says

+ Creat account

4-1400 Sales

8-0060 Government subsidies

etc etc

Is that what you meant?

Regards

Nat

Tracey_H
        Former Staff

Hi NH1980 

Yes, those are accounts and are listed in Accounting>>Chart of accounts. There are the account classifications that I listed previously. You can create your own detail accounts or use the ones already set up to allocate transactions to.

For example:

If you have two bank accounts you can create an assest account for each bank account:

1-1100 - Everyday bank account

1-1200 - Savings bank account

If your business was selling water you could set up income accounts to track the income for the different types:

4-1100 - spring water

4-1200 - carbonated water

The accounts you allocate transactions to determines the financial reporting of your business, as such, if you're not sure it is recommended that you discuss this with your accountant.

Please let me know if you need further help.