Why my super goes to expense instead of superannuation payable when creating a payroll

MichelleX15
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Why my super goes to expense instead of superannuation payable when creating a payroll

After created a single payroll, the amount of superannuation will be added to my expense account instead of my liability account - superannaution payable.

I've gone to accounting > manage linked accounts > payroll, which appears as the attached screenshot.

Can someone help me please with how can I get this corrected? The past superannauation transactions, which were created and added to my expense account automatically each time I created a payroll won't appear when I need to allocate the bank feed of my quarterly super payment. I have to create a new transation to match this bank feed, otherwise my bank account cannot be reconciled. That makes the same superannuation amount been added twice to my expense account, leading to a misrecord my total expense.

图片_20231102234257.png
7 REPLIES 7
Princess_R
MYOB Moderator
3,201 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,201Posts

118Kudos

492Solutions

Re: Why my super goes to expense instead of superannuation payable when creating a payroll

Hi @MichelleX15,

Thank you for your post. I'd like to extend you a warm welcome to the Community forum. I hope you find it a valuable resource.

Most likely, this is due to the incorrect allocations of the Super Guarantee pay item linked to the account. In this case, I recommend checking the setup of the linked account of the pay item set up for Superannuation. Please see the attached image below: 

Please let me know how you get along and if you require any further assistance with this. I'm happy to help.

Cheers,

Princess

MichelleX15
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Why my super goes to expense instead of superannuation payable when creating a payroll

Hi @Princess_R ,

Thank you for your reply. I just checked the settings you pointed out and indeed it was wrong. I've relinked it to the liability account and will try if it fixed the problem at our next pay cycle.

Further on that, can you please also advise how can i get the past transactions transfered to the liability account as well?It seems like those payrolls have already been submitted to ATO and no longer editable.

Regards,

Michelle

Princess_R
MYOB Moderator
3,201 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,201Posts

118Kudos

492Solutions

Hi @MichelleX15,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, if a superfund has been paid from the wrong account, you may need to record a transfer money from the wrong account to the correct account. Or the easiest way to fix it is to go to Allocated Bank transactions and cancel the allocations for the payments, then reallocate them to the correct account.

Please let me know if you require any further assistance with this. I'd be more than happy to help.

Cheers,

Princess

MichelleX15
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Princess_R ,

Thank you for your response.

I have tried both solutions and neither of them would work.

For solution 1, a general journal must be balanced. In this case, the wrong amount should go from an expense account to a liability account, in which case the amount to be transfer should both be credit on the general journal to make both accounts show the right balance after transaction. 

For solution 2, the auto-generated superannuation transactions only appear on the "find transactions" > "debits and credits" page as they were not actual bank transactions at the time when they were generated. So they can not be reallocated. 

Also after I've changed the linked account for superannuation, I tried to create a new payroll and the superannuation amount appeared as a negative number in my superannuation payable account, which I belive since it's a liability, for amount to pay, it should be positive. And once I allocted the actual bank transactions to superannuation expense, it only change the expense account and the balance of the liability account won't change. 

Regards,

Michelle

MichelleX15
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Princess_R ,

I have figured out why my superannuation payable account shows a negative number, but the remaining problems still exist. I have attached how my transactions look like after I created a payroll. There are two lines generated related to superannuation. The payable one is fine. But the last line added a "$62.92" to my expense account when the actual payment as not been made. And once I made the quarterly payment after the end of the year, Myob will ask me to allocate that bank transaction, but I cannot link it to that "$62.92" which has been already in my transactions, which means I have to create a new transaction to reconcile my bank account, making the same amount added twice to my expense account.

Regards,

Michelle

图片_20231106193551.png
Earl_HD
MYOB Moderator
3,410 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,410Posts

116Kudos

274Solutions

Hi @MichelleX15,

Thank you so much for your detailed post with screenshots and my apologies for the late response.

In the bank transaction window, when allocating bank feeds, the system automatically records the corresponding MYOB Business/Essentials transaction. However, if the MYOB transaction has already been entered, this may lead to a duplicate entry. In such cases, you can resolve the issue by matching the transaction to the bank feed. To do this, click on the expand arrow (>>) to reveal the "Match transaction" option, tick the transaction you want to match, and then save it.

If a duplicate transaction has been created, it will typically appear as a "Spend Money" transaction, which you can find under "Banking" in the "Find transactions" section. To rectify this, open the duplicated transaction and click on "Delete."

Please do let me know how you go on this.
Regards,
Earl

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

Earl_HD
MYOB Moderator
3,410 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,410Posts

116Kudos

274Solutions

Hi @MichelleX15,

I would like to check if you're still having this issue? If so, please feel free to post again and one of us will be happy to assist you.

Regards,
Earl

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post