Difference between Closing Statement Balance and Calculated Statement Balance

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
L-Plater
3 Posts
User

3Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Difference between Closing Statement Balance and Calculated Statement Balance

My closing statement balance is incorrect but my claculated statement balance is correct. I can not find where the problem is? Sorry if this is basic, but it is really frustrating me and I cant find anything online or in the forum to point me in the right direction. 

I may have done the wrong thing in changing it to be correct, but even after reconciling, it goes back to being incorrect, even when the calculated statement balance continues to be correct.

Can someone please assist?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Difference between Closing Statement Balance and Calculated Statement Balance

Hi @L-Plater 

Thanks for your post.  Can I confirm that you are referring to the Reconcile Accounts window? The Closing Statement Balance is the closing balance on the statement provided by your bank. The Calculated Statement Balance is the closing balance of the previous reconciliation and any transactions that have been ticked in the Reconcile Accounts window.

So, when reconciling your account you do need to change the Closing Statement Balance to the Closing Balance amount on the bank statement provided by your bank.  The Bank Statement Date will be the closing date that appears on your bank statement. You then match and tick all transactions which should leave you with the Out of Balance amount $0.00.

These help articles will help with reconciling your accounts:

Reconciling your bank accounts 

Resolving out of balance bank reconciliations 

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

L-Plater
3 Posts
User

3Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Difference between Closing Statement Balance and Calculated Statement Balance

Thank you Tracey,

Yes, it is when reconciling.

I did change the closing statement balance to be correct, but the next month it reverts back to the same incorrect amount? I’ve looked back but can’t see a problem, so I’m wondering how to find where this amount is that keeps popping up, or why it is doing it?

Thank you 

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @L-Plater 

You do need to change the Closing Balance each time you reconcile your accounts, it will never be correct as you need to manually enter the amount from the statement provided by your bank. If you wanted to reconcile prior to receiving a bank statement, you would need to go into your internet banking and get the balance of your account on the day you are reconciling to.

The way the Reconcile Accounts window works is that you enter the closing balance and date from your bank statement. You then match the transactions on your bank statement to the transactions entered in AccountRight by checking they are correct and then ticking them both on the statement and in Reconcile Accounts. Each time you tick a transaction in Reconcile Accounts it changes the Calculated Statement balance. Once all transactions have been ticked the Calculated Statement balance should be the same as the Closing Statement balance (your actual bank balance on that day). This process matches what you have recorded in AccountRight with what has actually occurred in your bank account. 

If you use Bank Feeds, this speeds up the matching of your transactions as it imports the data directly from your bank account into AccountRight, meaning you don't need to match using a paper statement. 

I hope this clarifies it for you. Please do let me know if you have further questions.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

L-Plater
3 Posts
User

3Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you, that makes perfect sense now. 

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post