Forum Discussion

AMJ1
Experienced User
2 years ago

On line vs stand alone

I am still working on  a stand alone scenario. I cannot upload payroll deatils to the ATO (This is now for a week)  Do I have to be on line  to be able to do my work?  I am very hesitant to be "online "  given the Optus scenario....

Could you please let me know  what your expectations are in solving my upload issues ?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    The_Doc
    Ultimate Partner

Hi AMJ1 

You are not alone in your concerns however, The Optus security breach needs to be put into a perspective that this forum isn't the place for.

I have clients from 12 years ago who are only just getting to accept the need for putting their file online - and that the security around this is a whole lot different from the aspect of the Optus breach.

For just some perspective - the place you keep your local file and protect it with lightweight passwords is a whole lot less secure and open to a whole lot of likely security breaches than a secure online facility offered by MYOB - and no I am not saying that it isn't without risk - there is no such thing as 100% security - but most businesses "so called local environment is extraordinarily open and never gets audited"  - 

And a fortress like structure that offers perfectly securiity just attracts vulture hackers to try.

It is a balance - from my perspective of being in this environment for over 35 years - and that internet computing and data storage is common place - putting your file online is a very good security consideration to the problems of storing it locally. Also, a high proportion of security breaches are insiders!!

However, to your problem - no your file does not need to be online for STP I - and payroll reporting works perfectly (well untill 2022.8 - there is a problem).

However, from Jan 2023 when STP II becomes compulsory - your file must be online for STP II to function.

The Doc

IhateMYOBupgrad
      Experienced Cover User

I can't work out how to send you a private message! lol would really like to talk to you about going online. Could you please contact me?

AMJ1
      Experienced User

thank you, I accept this - but what do I do with uploading the payroll - since there is a problem with the last update ...................