Forum Discussion

Fergo
Contributing Cover User
4 years ago
Solved

Unknown payment correction

I had a payment deposited into our account in July for $2262, which is one of our standard fees, with no reference number. I have several unpaid invoices for that amount so didn't know which existing invoice to allocate the payment to. To reconcille the accounts for July I allocated it to an unknown account. I now know who belongs to the payment and need to allocate that payment to their invoice. How do I correct/allocate this previous payment?

Thank you

• Hi Fergo 

Thanks for your post. If I understand correctly you allocated the payment to a holding type account like the suspense account. If that is the case, you can go to Receive payments and change the Deposit to account to that holding type account and record the payment for that customer. 

Please note, that account would need to be either an asset or liability account with the Account Type set to Bank/Credit card in order for it to appear in the Deposit to account dropdown list. 

If I have misunderstood your post or you need further help please do let me know.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Fergo 

Thanks for your post. If I understand correctly you allocated the payment to a holding type account like the suspense account. If that is the case, you can go to Receive payments and change the Deposit to account to that holding type account and record the payment for that customer. 

Please note, that account would need to be either an asset or liability account with the Account Type set to Bank/Credit card in order for it to appear in the Deposit to account dropdown list. 

If I have misunderstood your post or you need further help please do let me know.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.