Forum Discussion

sg9
Contributing User
2 years ago

Pay processed at incorrect base hourly rate

Hi. On our last pay run one of our employees was overpaid due to the base hourly calculation rate somehow changing from $30.00 to $33.96, which is what is showing under the "Calc Rate" column on the timesheet.  There's also some Personal Leave entered on this timesheet, which is showing the correct hourly rate of $30.00.  There was a major outage with MYOB on Wednesday and yesterday when I was trying to put the wages through, and I'm wondering if this has somehow caused a malfunction?  Has anyone else experienced a glitch like over over the last couple of days?  As far as I can see, I can't manually change the hourly rate during the payroll process, so I'm really confused as to how this has happened.  There's never been an issue before, only during this outage period.  I've gone back into the employee's details, but everything there is as it should be.  I've also checked each pay category that relates to the employee, and nothing's changed there either. If this is user error, then I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction as to where I might have somehow changed this.  It's resulted in the employee being overpaid by almost $250, so it's a pretty big glitch if not a user error!

sg9
    Contributing User

Update : the whole timesheet is out of whack.  The hours worked don't equal the amount column, using either the incorrect or correct hourly rate, and the accrued annual leave amount doesn't  look right either.

Earl_HD
      MYOB Moderator

Hi @sg9,

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear about the outage that happen. I understand the inconvenience caused by the recent outage. Your patience and understanding regarding this issue are greatly appreciated, and I apologize for the delayed response.

If the amount in timesheets is correct, based on the base hourly rate, you can follow these steps to rectify the issue:

1. Open the "Employee card file".
      2. Navigate to "Payroll Details" and select "Standard Pay."
      3. In this section, ensure that all the amounts are set to $0.

Regarding the calculation basis for annual leave, it's crucial to clarify the specific parameters and rules applied within your organization. For Annual Leave accrual, if the Calculation basis is a percentage of wages/gross hours, it calculates the hours based on all pay items with an hourly basis. If the accrual is less than the expected hours, please check the leave accrual category to see if any of the pay items used in a pay run are added to the exemptions. Including pay items in exemptions can prevent the hours entered for those pay items from being included in the calculation of leave accrual.

For more detailed information on setting up leave and understanding the calculation basis, you can refer to this help article: Set up leave.

If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. We're here to help you resolve any issues and provide guidance as needed.
      Regards,
      Earl

sg9
        Contributing User

Hi Earl_HD, many thanks for your reply.  I've had a little look through the forum and it may be that my issue wasn't  triggered by the outage, and may actually be an existing MYOB issue.  I found this post, which seems to be what I am experiencing:

"I want to bring to your attention that the payroll sofware we are using  has been exeperiencing errors in its calculation. Although i have informed the support team about these issues, but we are still encountering random errors. Specifically , the progdram is incorrectly calculating the gross pay by using incorrect salary rates. Our salary rates are supposed to be permanent, but the program randomly changes them . It is also impossilbe to conroll or check from my side as a user to avoid the wrong calculations. "

This is exactly what happened in my last pay run - i.e. the hourly rate radomnly changed and charged the hours worked at $3.96 more per hour than what it should have.  Also, the hours worked for that pay cycle were down by two days due to employee sickness, but the gross amount column has remained at the figure that would have applied had a full week been worked.  So the employee was paid a full week's pay PLUS two days sick pay. I can send you a copy of the timesheet if that helps?

On the annual & personal leave side, I've followed the advice given in the instructions in the help section, and as the employee is on an hourly rate, I've set the leave accrual option to "Equals a percentage of gross hours".  The employee's base hours are 45 hours per week.  Can you please confirm whether this is the correct option, or whether I should in fact be using the other option of 2.92 hours per week?  I was under the impression that using the percentage of gross hours option, the calculation would be capped at 38 hours per week, but now looking through past time sheets, this doesn't appear to be the case, as there's different amounts of accrual listed on every pay cycle.  If I am to change the accrual method, how do I go about reporting this change please?  Could you also please advise the best method for changing and reporting the incorrections on this last time sheet.  We don't use the built in timesheets provided by MYOB, we use our own.

Many thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.