Forum Discussion

Chris_Huber
Contributing Cover User
2 years ago
Solved

Category ofr sales

I have different categories (sales shops) on my desktop MYOB Account Right. When I want to do a quote or invoice on the web based online MYOB, it doesn't let me save it, an error appears "You must specify a category."
I cannot find anywhere, where I can specify my categories.
(this issue does not happen when I do a quote/issue on Account Right desktop, as the category choice is at the bottom right corner of the template.
And with the phone based app, I also cannot save it with an unspecific error message.

• Hi Chris_Huber 

The web based interface simply does not support Category data entry as yet as none of the screens have the option to add the category and I assume that there is no programing on the web side of the program (web interface) to handle recording of the categories even if the field was available. 

As you are getting an error in data entry on the web I assume that your settings for the use of Categories on the Desktop (Setup > Preferences > System) is set to Categories 'Required' on all transactions.  As such when you are carrying out data entry on the web the system cannot record the transaction because there is no category allocated.

Even though there is still a number of settings and functions not supported or even referenced on the web software it still honours those settings that have been set via the desktop.

There is not a lot you can do here except to change the setting to "Not Required' on each transaction.  You will be able to record entries on the web but you still will not be able to allocate a Category.

This situation is a bit odd as there is Category based reporting in the web interface, just no way to carry out data entry with categories.  For a long time Category reporting on the Desktop was flawed and did not produced the right data on some reports.  I do wonder whether it was a way around the desktop reports not functioning by creating reports on the web that did work.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Chris_Huber 

The web based interface simply does not support Category data entry as yet as none of the screens have the option to add the category and I assume that there is no programing on the web side of the program (web interface) to handle recording of the categories even if the field was available. 

As you are getting an error in data entry on the web I assume that your settings for the use of Categories on the Desktop (Setup > Preferences > System) is set to Categories 'Required' on all transactions.  As such when you are carrying out data entry on the web the system cannot record the transaction because there is no category allocated.

Even though there is still a number of settings and functions not supported or even referenced on the web software it still honours those settings that have been set via the desktop.

There is not a lot you can do here except to change the setting to "Not Required' on each transaction.  You will be able to record entries on the web but you still will not be able to allocate a Category.

This situation is a bit odd as there is Category based reporting in the web interface, just no way to carry out data entry with categories.  For a long time Category reporting on the Desktop was flawed and did not produced the right data on some reports.  I do wonder whether it was a way around the desktop reports not functioning by creating reports on the web that did work.

Chris_Huber
      Contributing Cover User

Thanks. Yes, that solves the problem.

very odd that MYOB should do this, makes it so much less usable if categories are important