Forum Discussion

mscheurer
Experienced User
2 months ago

Merchant fee surcharge

There seems to be something wrong with the online payment function, I had a customer pay an invoice with a master card, the surcharges where applied and charged to her account but then it listed a merchant fee 25c charged to me which I've never seen before, and I checked all my other master card payment receipts.

Is this a glitch in the system related to the new switch for BPAY?

Either way, the total money received now doesn't match my invoice, making it impossible to reconcile without altering the invoice. Not what I should have to do.

I expect all the surcharges to passed onto my client, without that I no choice but to stop using your online payment system and rely on bank transfers. Small businesses can not carry these extra fees!

Anyone come across this?

Payment receipt also look different which is strange, both where master card payments.

Support ticket #01766051

24 Replies

MattBedford
    Experienced User

MikeG1We too are having issues with not being able to reconcile amounts. As mentioned above the total amount received from online payment doesn't match the invoice, due to fees taken out and remaining amount transferred to us. This makes it impossible to reconcile as the amounts don't match. We have heaps of unallocated transactions sitting there that can't be matched as the amounts differ (invoiced amount and the online paid amount differ). We also currently have a tech support request in progress, it's been going for 3 weeks on Tuesday and we have had no reply since 21st May. 

Do you possibly have any work around to get this issue fixed? We have checked with MOCA and also had no success. 

Thank you for your time,

Matt

MikeG1
      MYOB Moderator

Hi MattBedford - check out this article about what happens when a customer uses OIP to make payment. Deducting the fees from the payment instead of as a separate amount is a recent change but should make things easier for you.

https://www.myob.com/nz/support/myob-business/sales/receiving-payments/online-invoice-payments/reconciling-online-invoice-payments?productview=Browser

mscheurer
        Experienced User

There is just one small hitch with this system, Auto matching does not work with the bulk transfers MYOB sends us. Breaking these bulk payment into components is a pain in the b*tt and takes way too much time.

And how is not being able to match the payments to the invoices making it easier for us? 

mscheurer
      Experienced User

The amount of extra work this is causing is just stupid. Luckily I had the system off for most of the month because of this BPAY issue, I'd hate to in someones shoes who take a lot of payments online. I'm gobsmacked no one at MYOB thought about this before implementing this just to get a few dollars a couple of days earlier.

Not sure the ATO is going to be happy with all of us editing our invoices to match the short payments. Is that even legal?

And then there are the useless invoices that don't itemise the charges, I just got one today from that I can't work out what it's from. Yes it's only $11 but it still needs to be recorded against an invoice. 

mscheurer
    Experienced User

Looks like I didn't read the fine print! 
    After months of fighting to have the ability to turn off BPAY we are now being charged for the privilege to use the online payment system. Sadly, as a micro business, I can't justify the extra cost and extra work of these little merchant fees. I'm out!

Back to free bank transfer, cash & card payments in person (all fees are passed onto clients!)

Thanks for the effort, so close...

MikeG1
      MYOB Moderator

Hi mscheurer - as you have noticed in the terms and conditions, the 25c per transaction fee has always been in place since we first released the Online invoice payments feature and has always been paid by the merchant.
      That being said, similar to other work we are undertaking around fees and surcharging, I can advise that we are working to include this transaction fee within the surcharging capability which would effectively make the service free for the business/merchant using it.
      Watch this space, thanks, Mike

mscheurer
        Experienced User

Thanks for that, you are right you've always charged that but the monthly invoice never impacted the way invoices were marked off as paid. The move to the per transaction has created extra work and it's very messy as you can no longer just mark an invoice as paid and link it to the transaction.

It should be free, it's the clients choice to use! As long as a fee free facility )direct debit) has been provided to the client I see no reason to penalise the merchant.

Hopefully that won't take as long as the BPAY switch, in the meantime, I won't be using it.

MikeG1
    MYOB Moderator

Hi sonialouise , mscheurer and MattBedford ,

I have discussed this further with one of the team and they believe this will be to do with how your OIP accounts are set up.
    We recommend making sure that you have both categories set up correctly in your OIP settings

This page best explains the how it works with net settlement

There is a section you can expand in this help article called: "what transactions are automatically recorded"
    And there is also a "what you need to do" section of the article that outlines once of steps that were necessary to take when changed to net settlement

https://www.myob.com/au/support/myob-business/sales/receiving-payments/online-invoice-payments/changes-to-how-you-pay-online-invoice-payment-fees 

mscheurer
      Experienced User

The page explains how to set up OIP, nothing else, all my payments are still 25cents short!

Auto matching has never worked with the bulk payments we get from MYOB but at least we could painstakingly match them manually. Now every payment is 25cents short there is no way to do that.

MattBedford
    Experienced User

Below is the reply instructions I have received from MYOB support. 

Now, I have tested this and yes it will work however is it time saving.............. no definitely not. We are a small family business and 95% of our clients pay online using the provided option. The remaining 5% does a direct transfer to us. The new process is not efficient and takes more time than the previous way. Given the below information has taken since mid May to get from Tech support, I recommend MYOB update the online support pages to reflect this information. 

Unfortunately, in this case the MYOB automatic matching option isn't really automatic, we still need to manually make an adjustment on every invoice paid online. Please see below email reply from MYOB Tech Support which has the instructions everyone needs. Hope it helps others out there having the same issue. I'm off to make adjustments to 3 weeks worth of invoices that are sitting in my unallocated transactions, fun times- Matt

Reply from Tech Support-

I have coordinated your query with one of our product experts. They have explained and confirmed that your customer payments and the surcharge for that payment is normally recorded separately within the system since the surcharge is for the online invoice payment. 

For this, you will need to manually apply an adjustment for the payment so it will automatically reconcile to the invoice. 

Please see the steps below 

1. Under Banking, select bank transactions 
    1. Use the filter option to easily find the transactions in question. 
    1. On the chosen transaction, click the drop-down arrow on the right side and click Match transaction. 
    1. Look for the Add Adjustment option and apply the amount of the surcharge. 
    1. Click Save. 

You may check this article as well for your reference Reconciling online invoice payments 

MikeG1
      MYOB Moderator

Hi MattBedford , sonialouise and mscheurer ,
      It looks like you're still trying to treat these as gross settlements but since we changed to net settlement it operates differently now. 
      Trying to reconcile these as gross, will disrupt the automatic flow

This help article explains it well > Automatically matching online invoice payments (myob.com)
      BUT I think it would be worthwhile for each of you to speak with someone in the financial services support team
      They can be reached on 1300 783 674 Monday - Friday between 9:00am and 5:30pm 

mscheurer
        Experienced User

Auto matching rarely works in real life, especially when we get them all bunched into one bulk payment.

Rather than ringing a call centre in a far away land who’s operator we may or may not understand wouldn’t it be more efficient to post a proper step by step guide here on how to handle these single and multiple transfers in our bank feeds?  I’m sure there are hundreds of people watching this post and looking for the same answer.

To be honest, I much prefer the way the payments are coming into my account without your OIP so I will stick with that from now.

sonialouise
      Contributing User

I've been trying to this, but it still creates an out of balance amount...eg if an invoice was $100, I cop the 25c + 1.8%, I receive $97.95, the fee was $2.05. if I add an adjustment of merchant fees @ $2.05 it shows $2.05 out of balance and wont let me match an unbalanced transaction. In adjusting it's either trying to + or - the invoice total not the payment received total

I've spent so much time trying to work out how to get it right, the only thing that's successful and I am absolutely not going to do regularly is to transfer an amount from my personal account to my business account, spread it across all of the invoices that supposedly have a debt and then create a spend money transaction at the end of the month when MYOB sends the receipt for all transactions fees that month, deducting that amount I personally transferred back out of the biz account, but that looks super dodgy so im not willing to go ahead with it (I just tried it for 2 invoices to see if it works)

Also no one in the call centre is any help, all claim that the system auto detects the difference for the fee and allocates appropriately and will not listen that it doesn't 

mscheurer
        Experienced User

This is so much fun. I have an invoice for $105, the system assigned CR000399 to the clients payment and marked the invoice as paid. In the bank feed I see a payment from MYOB for 104.75, clicking on the triangle I get CR000403 Online payment MYOBXXXXX so I add the adjustment, give it the fee category,  Select the payment but have no way of assigning it to the invoice, click save and now it says "Matched to Bank  Deposit CR000403" WTF? No mention of the invoice number anywhere and I can't even type anything in the description. And now I have 2 reference numbers for the same payment and one of them is not listed with invoice.

Before all of the changes you could match the customers payment with the listing in the bank feeds, that even worked to some extend with the multi payment transfers, but it doesn't anymore. 

I will just leave them there and get on with my life, it's not worth the aggravation.

KIM-2017
    Contributing Cover User
    We Invoiced our customer $1207.61 and they paid the correct amount as invoiced.  However, we have had $22.39 taken from this one payment by MYOB i am assuming???  Do MYOB get this merchant fee cut as well as transaction fees each month, as well as our monthly product fee???  Hugh amounts being taken!!!

Invoice number

Payment date

04/06/2024, 04:16 (UTC+0000)

Invoice amount

$1,118.18

Tax

$111.82

Merchant fee

-$22.39

Total amount received

$1,207.61

• I'm having a similar problem: I have 2 unmatched online transactions for invoices but all the applicable invoices are paid... also the amounts of the online transactions waiting to be matched are slightly lower than any of the invoices they could be for, so I couldn't match them even if I wanted to.

I've opened a support ticket.