Forum Discussion

ritat73
Contributing Cover User
5 months ago

Full-time Under 18 Employee Super

Hi, we have a full-time employee working 38 hours a week. Every week, I record his pay and get a warning that we don't need to pay super and when I check his pay the super is not automatically calculated. I enter it in manually.

The payroll category I used is Superannuation Guarantee and his pay is set-up as a salary with 38 hours per week.  He is set-up the same as all other employees, the only difference is he is under 18.

Thanks

• Hi ritat73,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the community forum!

I understand that you have an employee who is under 18, and you are entering his pay super manually as it is not being calculated. If the under 18 employee is paid weekly, MYOB will automatically calculate their super contributions based on the hours worked* when you do a pay run. For example, if the employee has worked for more than 30 hours in the week, super will be calculated and included in their pay. If they work 30 hours or less, super will not be included in that pay. 

MYOB counts all the hours in an employee's pay run to work out the number of hours worked (unless the pay item is exempt from super guarantee calculations). But if any of those hours don't represent actual hours worked, like allowances or loading, you'll need to manually exclude them.

If the employee hasn't actually worked more than 30 hours for the week, you'll need to manually remove any calculated super amount.

If the under 18 employee is paid a fixed salary instead of an hourly rate, and they work more than 30 hours per week, set them up for super the same as any other salaried employee. Learn about setting up an employee's super details.

Feel free to write a post if you need further assistance.

Cheers,

Jem

ritat73
    Contributing Cover User

Hi 

Thanks for your answer.  This is a salaried employee that is setup the same as all other employees.  They are entered as working 38 hours per week and I have selected SGC for super.  The only difference between this employee and all the others, is that he is under 18.  My system does not recognise super as being paid to them, regardless of the 38 hours I put into his standard weekly pay setup.

At this point, I think it is a system error and I have to continue to enter the super manually until they fix the problem, or the kid turns 18.

Regard

Rita

Genreve_S
      MYOB Moderator

Hi ritat73 ,

Thanks for the clarification. If your below 18y/o employee is setup to be salaried the super will not calculate still. We recommend you set up the employee's pay to be hourly instead of salary-based to so that the system recognizes it and calculates the super correctly. 

I recommend reading through the article 'Paying Super for Employees Aged Under 18' for more information regarding this. In the meantime, feel free to create a new thread if you need any other help.

Thanks,
      Genreve