Forum Discussion

PriyaSelvaraj
MYOB Moderator
9 months ago

How do I send an update event to the ATO?

Here are the ways to  send an update event to the ATO.

You can sync your payroll totals in MYOB with the figures held by the ATO. This is a quick way of ensuring the ATO has the current year-to-date payroll figures for your employees.

If you're reporting via STP Phase 2, you can send an update event from the STP reporting center. Otherwise, you'll need to record a zero dollar ($0) pay for each employee whose year-to-date payroll totals you want to send to the ATO.

Am I reporting via STP Phase 2?

You can check in the STP reporting centre (Payroll menu > Single Touch Payroll reporting). How do I get ready for STP Phase 2?

Sending an update event for STP Phase 1

You can send an update event for an employee by recording a $0 pay. This type of pay is also called a void pay and it's like any other pay, but all hours and amounts will be zero.

When you record a $0 pay, the employee's latest year to date payroll totals will be sent to the ATO.

1. Start a new pay run (Payroll menu > Create pay run).
  2. Set the Pay cycle to Unscheduled.
  3. Ensure the Date of payment is in the payroll year you're sending the update event for.
  4. Select only the employees you want to send an update event for.
  5. Because you set the pay cycle to Unscheduled, you'll notice all hours and amounts are removed from each employee's pay (which is just what we want). Here's an example.
  6. Complete the pay run as you normally do and declare it to the ATO. Need a refresher?

Update events are listed in the Single Touch Payroll reporting centre with your other payroll submissions, but with zero (0.00) amounts

Sending an update event for STP Phase 2
  1. From the Payroll menu, choose Single Touch Payroll reporting.
  2. Click the STP reports tab.
  3. Choose the applicable Payroll year.
  4. Click Send update event.
  5. When prompted, enter your details and click Send.

Update events are listed in the Single Touch Payroll reporting centre with your other payroll submissions, but with zero (0.00) amounts