Forum Discussion

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
3 years ago
Solved

Clean up Item Numbers

Hi Folks

One of you Gurus will know the answer to this simple question - thought I think the answer is NO.

2 Company Files - both with perpetual inventory.

#1 orders from #2 using - Supplier Item Number - however there is a lot of missmatching.

The problem is we are about to go live with a new API app, I have built, which exports PO in company #2 using - supplier item numbers in #1.

However 33% are mismatched and I am cleaning up - and trying to find short cuts.

Company #1 inventory names are the definitive - and #2 are older names.

eg. Order from #1 product 101160SD6500 - supplier item 101160SD650  - and if you go to #2 there is the same inventory number as #1 but missing an end zero - .......

To fix this line I would have to manually update the inventory name in #2 for this item to '101160SD6500 from 101160SD650  and in #1 change the Supplier Item number to '101160SD6500'

As you can imagine - over 2000 items - messy - I wanted to export #2 items and cleanup the item numbers - but you can't because this is the import matching reference to re-import.

However, in #1 I can do a bulk update of Supplier Item Numbers with a batch import.

So the question - anyway of bulk updating #2 Item Numbers (other than an API import - that uses UID numbers).

The Doc

• Hi The_Doc 

This has always been a limitation of MYOB, using the itemNumber as the only identifying field in an import makes it impossible to update the Item Number in bulk. Try a tool called File Utility MYOX - this is a small 3rd party tool that allows you to renumber items - the file needs to be local, so you'd need to backup restore fix backup restore and there is a fee to use this feature. Or the vendor can do the work for you, just costs more. 

Others might be able to suggest alternative methods.

Regards

Gavin

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi The_Doc 

This has always been a limitation of MYOB, using the itemNumber as the only identifying field in an import makes it impossible to update the Item Number in bulk. Try a tool called File Utility MYOX - this is a small 3rd party tool that allows you to renumber items - the file needs to be local, so you'd need to backup restore fix backup restore and there is a fee to use this feature. Or the vendor can do the work for you, just costs more. 

Others might be able to suggest alternative methods.

Regards

Gavin

The_Doc
      Ultimate Partner
      Hi Gavin Thanks - yes thought so - hoped MYOB had created a visible field like they do for contacts like RECID. I think this is now a big problem for me as the direct link from 1 file to another is this Item Number - which is important. As a follow on - I built a program that links real time to a web cart, initially, using 'item Number' as the connection. Worked until we found staff creating new item numbers - would leave the inventory window open after creating a new item - come back to it and start typing - go oops and close - what they had done was wipe out or change an item number - ignoring the warning. This rippled through and severed the connection through to the web and ALL past history. Luckily - and NOT BY GOOD DESIGN - in the back of MYOB - the API (by design) has a UID that NEVER changes. Once we linked and used that - problem gone. Why cannot MYOB front end talk to MYOB backend - simple to grab a hidden field that enables this really important updating feature - eg bulk add z to old inventory to push extinct to the bottom. Watch this spot - I am going to do this from the backend and offer this up as a utility - shouldn't be hard - I suspect the 3rd party running on a local file is using a SQLCE driver - which I know exists in Visual Studio but not as a stand alone. I will build it using the API so it will run local and in the cloud - watch this spot - however, this may be a dead duck if MYOB API doesn't allow updates of Item Numbers this way. Thanks