Forum Discussion

ClaireL
Experienced User
2 years ago
Solved

Item numbers

I'm thinking this is likely a no, but thought I'd double-check.

Is it possible to have inventory Item numbers automatically assigned when being created? 

We are changing processes and about to import thousands of new item numbers. And will need to add multiple items per day going forward. Is it possible for MYOB to automatically pick up from the last number when creating a new item (similar to how quote numbers function)?

And further to that across a number of different prefix? OR would this whole process need to be done manually for each item?

Thanks in advance.

• Hi ClaireL 

Given the nature of the Item Number in MYOB, this is not a feature MYOB offers. Item Numbers must be set by the user. You can do this manually or via import. Once set the Item Number can only be changed manually one at a time, unless done by an external party.

Take care when adding items, while there is no technical limit, in the past moderators recommended no more than 5000. You will likely have more performance issues the more items you add.

Regards

Gavin

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi ClaireL 

Given the nature of the Item Number in MYOB, this is not a feature MYOB offers. Item Numbers must be set by the user. You can do this manually or via import. Once set the Item Number can only be changed manually one at a time, unless done by an external party.

Take care when adding items, while there is no technical limit, in the past moderators recommended no more than 5000. You will likely have more performance issues the more items you add.

Regards

Gavin

ClaireL
      Experienced User

Thank you Gavin,

I thought this may have been the case regarding manually entering item numbers.

Thanks for the heads up regarding inventory size.