Forum Discussion

Kym__Yeoward
Ultimate Partner
3 years ago

Fuel Levy - Add a fuel levy based on a percentage of freight charged

As Forum Moderator Neil_M  has noted:

Currently AccountRight does not have the capability to automatically calculate and add additional percentages to the sale.

However you can add a Fuel Levy as a surcharge, by creating a sales item for it.

If you want to add your Fuel Levy as a percentage of your total sales before GST, see Neil_M's comment here

Fuel Levy - based on a percentage of sales before GST 

Alternativly, if you currently use the Freight box on your invoice, to charge freight, you can add a Fuel Levy based on a percentage of your freight charge.

To do this:

- Go to Inventory \ Items List and
   - create an item number named "Fuel Levy (..... % of Freight) - where .... is your fuel levy rate - e.g. 10%
    (the item number could be, say, 990 - in your "miscellaneous charges" area - well away from your sales items)
    - tick the "I sell this item" and select the Income Account for Tracking Sales as, say, 4-1710 Freight
      (see my Note below, if you want to separately track your income from the fuel levy)

- then go to the Selling Details tab.
      If you want to charge a 10% levy on your freight, set the price as $0.10 with tax code GST
      If instead your fuel levy will be 20%, set the price as $0.20 with tax code GST
      Set "Calculate Sales Tax on" as "Base Selling Price"
     Leave the "Prices are tax-inclusive" box blank
     Then press"OK"

Next, to create an invoice with a Fuel Levy:

- Raise it as normal, including any freight

- Then go to "Edit - Insert Transation Line"
- In the Ship box, enter the freight amount (excluding GST)
- The Total box will show your Fuel Levy amount.

(Note - if your invoice is "tax inclusive" and your levy is 10%, its' Price will show as $0.11
  because the levy has tax code GST)

I suggest you first try-out this procedure in the sample file - Clearwater - before you create a Fuel Levy in your own file.

I've attached some screen-shots which demonstrate the levy set-up and some sample invoices.

P.S. In the sample invoices below, the Freight is $30. Adding GST, it becomes $33

Kym Yeoward

Darwin (Palmerston)

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Yanike_S
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Kym__Yeoward 

Thanks for sharing your method of adding a fuel levy! I am sure other users find your post useful and will be able to implement this in their own software.