Forum Discussion

5 years ago
Solved

How to process customer return for one business against another invoice for company owned by the same person

Hi,

A customer paid an invoice twice. I created a customer return for this payment, and they have asked for it to be credited against an invoice for another business (different contact within MYOB) that we also do work for, that they happen to own. 

How can I do this?

The difficult part is that are currently no outstanding invoices for the original business who paid twice, and the invoices for business number 2 do not show up when I go to the “Process Customer Returns” page.

I would appreciate your help.

Sunny

• Hi SeriouslySunny 

The process I would use is the following:

1. Go to your Business Name Menu (top right)>>Accounts >>Accounts List>>Add accounts and add in a new bank account. Don't forget to select Save after making that change
    2. Process the first payment on the invoice if you haven't already (as per normal - Sales>>Take payments)
    3. Once recorded, go to Sales>>Invoices and navigate to that required invoice and add a $1 to the invoice amount (or add in another $1) before selecting Save. This $1 will make the invoice reappear back into the Take Payments window so you can record that other payment.
    4. Sales>>Take payments>>Enter the second payment. In the Total Amount Received and Payment Amount fields enter the actual payment i.e. if they paid $100 enter $100, not $101. This will generate you a customer return for that customer
    5. You would then repeat Step 3 but instead of adding that $1 charge you would remove it.
    6. With the customer return you would go to Sales>>Process customer returns, highlight the required customer return and select Refund to customer. You would need to update the From account to be the account created in Step 1 before selecting Save
    7. Once completed, you would do a Sales>>Take payment for that second customer and with the Deposit to account being that newly created account.

The above process records the second payment (i.e. the overpayment), generates a customer return which is applied to a holding account which in turn is used on the other customer's record to pay the invoice.

Do let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance 

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi SeriouslySunny 

The process I would use is the following:

1. Go to your Business Name Menu (top right)>>Accounts >>Accounts List>>Add accounts and add in a new bank account. Don't forget to select Save after making that change
    2. Process the first payment on the invoice if you haven't already (as per normal - Sales>>Take payments)
    3. Once recorded, go to Sales>>Invoices and navigate to that required invoice and add a $1 to the invoice amount (or add in another $1) before selecting Save. This $1 will make the invoice reappear back into the Take Payments window so you can record that other payment.
    4. Sales>>Take payments>>Enter the second payment. In the Total Amount Received and Payment Amount fields enter the actual payment i.e. if they paid $100 enter $100, not $101. This will generate you a customer return for that customer
    5. You would then repeat Step 3 but instead of adding that $1 charge you would remove it.
    6. With the customer return you would go to Sales>>Process customer returns, highlight the required customer return and select Refund to customer. You would need to update the From account to be the account created in Step 1 before selecting Save
    7. Once completed, you would do a Sales>>Take payment for that second customer and with the Deposit to account being that newly created account.

The above process records the second payment (i.e. the overpayment), generates a customer return which is applied to a holding account which in turn is used on the other customer's record to pay the invoice.

Do let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance 

• Hi again Steven,

I’m just wondering how do I then match the transaction for the duplicate payment received into the real bank account (not the one created for this exercise)? Normally I would match the payment with the journal entry for the payment received, however I when I search for that journal entry, it doesn’t show up when I try to search for it to match it.

How do I match this deposit with a journal entry? Or do I have to create a new journal entry in the general journal which notes effectively matches it up?

If you could please tell me how to do that, it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sunny

Steven_M
        Former Staff

Hi SeriouslySunny 

In theory, the above process will generate the necessary bank transactions in MYOB Essentials that you can go to Match transaction and select the appropriate transactions to match to that bank transaction. 

If you are not seeing the necessary transactions in the Match transactions option for that bank account I would go back to ensure that you have not already matched a transaction to that MYOB Essentials transaction. You would also need to ensure that you have recorded those payment transactions to the correct bank account i.e. the Deposit to Account, it should be the same bank account as the one the bank feed transactions have come in on.