Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Payroll Error - Old Financial Year

Hello!

Very much hoping someone can assist. 

I'm working on reconciling bank accounts for a client, for 2021 Financial year. 

I've noticed some errors in Payroll processed Oct-Nov 2020.  Two staff members were paid $1.00 less each week than they should have been,  for 6 consecutive weeks.  (Bank showing payment of $1082.00, Payroll shows $1084.00)

I've gone to the Payroll reporting area, but am unable to correct STP reporting for that period, and am unsure of what journal to do in order to reconcile the account. I can't adjust the weekly wages as they're closed, and also then wouldn't balance to ATO reports...

Am at a loss, hoping I'm missing something easy and obvious :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi PCCBookkeeping 

Thanks for your post. If you wanted to adjust the pay transactions you'd need to lodge an amendment with the ATO as you'd need to adjust the gross wages to reduce the net amount. Your other options would be to pay the employees the short paid amount, you wouldn't need to adjust the pay transactions as the net amount of the pays is correct. Or, write off the short paid amount.

I'd recommend checking with the accountant and employer to make sure payroll obligations are met.

Once you know how this is going to be handled I'll be happy to assist with recording transactions in the software.

Please let me know how you go.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.