Forum Discussion

georgieh
Experienced Cover User
6 years ago
Solved

Account number allocation

I've only been using MYOB (AccountRight) for a few months, and wonder if anyone has any tips for allocating numbers to new accounts? Without a list of numbers being used right in front of me, I just punch in a random 4 figure number until I get one that it doesn't tell me I've already used. Perhaps I need to slow down and use that list, but surely there's some sort of auto allocation to the next available number?

• georgieh 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

Firstly when you say you can't see the Chart of Accounts when creating new accounts why not?

Are you using full windows? If so why? When I teach MYOB I tell all my students that if they see anyone using full windows (where the window takes up the whole of the screen) then that person has either not been trained in best use of the software or they are intentially try to waste time.

In the old Classic V19 and earlier you are able to have 9 windows open on the desktop at the same time in the new Account Right 20XX you can have unlimited windows open. I personally think that 10 to 12 is enough but you can have more. To move between windows just click on the window you want tp go too or go to Windows on the menu bar and choose the window there.

So go to SETUP on the MENU Bar then to Preferences and click on the Windows Tab.

Make sure you tick the 2nd preference down to Save Window sizes and locations. This will make sure that after you have opend moved and resized a window and closed it, it will reopen the same size and in the same location as you closed it. Note this does not work with Bank Feeds.

Now that you have done that open the Chart of Accounts so that it sits on the left hand side of the desktop and you goes from top to bottom but only about half way across.

To move a window click on the header and hold the left mouse button down, then just drag to wherever you want it.

To resize windows move the mouse the the border and when it turns into a double arrow click and hold down the left button then drag the border out to the size you want. Note final appearance can depend on the size of your screen and the resolution you are running it on.

Now click on the New button and move the window to the right hand side of your desktop. As you can see you can now see the chart of accounts when creating a new account and don't have to guess is a number has been used or not.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    GDay53
    Ultimate Partner

georgieh 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

Firstly when you say you can't see the Chart of Accounts when creating new accounts why not?

Are you using full windows? If so why? When I teach MYOB I tell all my students that if they see anyone using full windows (where the window takes up the whole of the screen) then that person has either not been trained in best use of the software or they are intentially try to waste time.

In the old Classic V19 and earlier you are able to have 9 windows open on the desktop at the same time in the new Account Right 20XX you can have unlimited windows open. I personally think that 10 to 12 is enough but you can have more. To move between windows just click on the window you want tp go too or go to Windows on the menu bar and choose the window there.

So go to SETUP on the MENU Bar then to Preferences and click on the Windows Tab.

Make sure you tick the 2nd preference down to Save Window sizes and locations. This will make sure that after you have opend moved and resized a window and closed it, it will reopen the same size and in the same location as you closed it. Note this does not work with Bank Feeds.

Now that you have done that open the Chart of Accounts so that it sits on the left hand side of the desktop and you goes from top to bottom but only about half way across.

To move a window click on the header and hold the left mouse button down, then just drag to wherever you want it.

To resize windows move the mouse the the border and when it turns into a double arrow click and hold down the left button then drag the border out to the size you want. Note final appearance can depend on the size of your screen and the resolution you are running it on.

Now click on the New button and move the window to the right hand side of your desktop. As you can see you can now see the chart of accounts when creating a new account and don't have to guess is a number has been used or not.

georgieh
      Experienced Cover User

Thanks Graeme, so simple! This will help a lot.