Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Wanting to become a bookkeeper

Need direction. 

I have been a financial planner all my career and I am 45 years old. 

I am wanting to be trained as a bookkeeper 

would anyone have any suggestions to do the myob course would it be sufficient to 

be competent enough to get employment 

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Brig1972 

MYOB does have some great courses that will aid clients in the ability to use the MYOB Software. You can check out a list of courses on MYOB: My Academy

Note: If you are solely looking for bookkeeping/accounting courses I would recommend speaking to your nearest education institute for courses they may offer.

GDay53
    Ultimate Partner

Brig1972 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

You can look at the MYOB My.Academy as Steven_M suggested, but before you make any decision I would suggest that you have a read of the Tax Practioners Board's website looking at the requirements for a BAS Agent.

Being just a bookkeeper limits what you are legally able to do, even in software. For example, allocating a tax code is giving Tax advice and depending on the circumstance, if you are not a BAS or Tax agent, could be illegal to do so.

One of those requirements is a Cert IV in Bookkeeping, so you would have to at least undertake a course at a Registerd Training Organisation that offers the Cert IV Bookkeeping.

Another thing to consider would be joining a Franchise such as First Class Accounts.

I am a franchisee and have been now since 2004, and am about to renew for my 4th term.

I would not still be a franchisee if I thought I did not benefit from being one.

The training you receive is second to none as they make sure you will repesent their brand with excellence