Forum Discussion

CarolDuncan
Experienced User
15 days ago
Solved

Cost Centres and preferences - not showing in web browser

Hi, I'm unable to see an option to allocate a cost centre on new transactions in the web browser. There is not even a list of cost centres available. Is it just me or is it the browser version of Myob? I've set up new cost centres in my desktop app. I also cannot see where to change preferences in the browser. 
Is it just me?

Princess_R
    10 days ago

Hi CarolDuncan,

You're welcome and thank you for sharing your perspective.

I'm glad to hear that you found the clarification helpful, and you make a valid point about the term "chart of accounts" being a standard bookkeeping term. Your feedback helps us understand how we can better align our terminology with industry standards.

If my previous response has answered your inquiry, would you consider selecting "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information?

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out. 

Cheers,

Princess

9 Replies

Shella_A
    MYOB Moderator

Hi CarolDuncan,

I appreciate your post. The MYOB Business web browser version has made some updates. What used to be called 'accounts' is now called 'categories'. This is the same for the 'Categories' feature in the AccountRight desktop app, which is now known as 'Cost Centres'. When it comes to adding a cost centre to new transactions, you can do this in the 'Create' menu. This is where you can make new transactions and records, like invoices, bills, and contacts. From this spot, you can note a new expense and even add a product or service to your list.

For more information, you may check out this helpful article about how categories work in the browser version.

Feel free to post again anytime you require further assistance. 

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this.

Kind regards,
    Shella

CarolDuncan
      Experienced User

Hi Shella_A 

Unfortunately your reply did not help at all. I know in the desktop app that 'Categories' are now known as 'Cost Centres'. In the web browser version there is no option to create or even allocate a transaction to a Cost Centre. My question was - is this normal?

If categories/cost centres are not available in the browser version, it seems like rather a big shortcoming of Myob Business in the browser. I can report on categories in the browser but that is all. 
      There's also no 'Preferences' as seen in the desktop app where you can turn on/off certain components like 'use cost centres'. I just thought the browser version was going to be an alternative to the desktop app, but perhaps it isn't at all and there is an inherent lack of functionality still. 

Thanks,
      Carol 

Earl_HD
    MYOB Moderator

Hi CarolDuncan,

Thanks for your post, In the latest MYOB Business update, we're renaming "Accounts" to "Categories." Accounts, which you currently use in MYOB Business to group similar transactions, will soon be referred to as categories. We're making this change because we believe "categories" is a more intuitive term for this functionality. It also helps to differentiate between bank and credit card accounts in the real world and how you categorize transactions in MYOB.

The Chart of Accounts page will be renamed to "Categories (Chart of Accounts)."

Categories function exactly the same as accounts. Despite their new name, categories retain all the same functionality as accounts. They will still be grouped in the same way as before. You'll continue to create, edit, delete, and import categories, assign them to transactions, and view them in reports without any changes.

Please see this help page for more information: New vertical menu and simplified language in MYOB Business

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help!

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Regards,
    Earl

CarolDuncan
      Experienced User

Thanks Earl_HD - thanks for your reply but you have misunderstood what I was asking as well.

1. I disagree that calling the Chart of Accounts 'Categories' is more intuitive. 

2. In the desktop app what was 'Categories' is now known as 'Cost Centre'. 

3. In Myob Business browser/app there is no 'Cost Centre' functionality. 

4. This means you cannot interchange between the desktop app and the browser app because they have different functionaility. If my business requires Cost Centres to be allocated to transactions, then this is not possible in the browser app.

5. According to the help info on Cost Centres, it implies you must have activated Cost Centre funcionality in the desktop app for it to be available in the browser app - this is incorrect.

I'm disappointed as the browser app was showing promise but it is not as good as the desktop app. Some of the reports available are good but that's about it.
      I'm not sure why it is so hard for Myob moderators to answer my query and acknowledge functionality is different between the desktop app and the browser app. Perhaps something is missing?

Princess_R
        MYOB Moderator

Hi CarolDuncan,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding the upcoming changes in our chart of accounts, now known as categories. 

It seems there's been a misunderstanding regarding the terminology and functionality between the desktop app and the browser app. 

• You're absolutely right that we've transitioned from using "categories" to "cost centers."
        • The AccountRight browser interface doesn't support the setup and processing of category-based transactions. If you find yourself needing to include a category in a transaction within AccountRight, we suggest recording that transaction using the desktop application.

Your disappointment with the browser app's performance compared to the desktop app is understandable, especially if certain essential features are lacking or not working as expected. Rest assured, our team is fully aware of these differences and is actively working to enhance the browser version to ensure that all functionalities available in the desktop version are also accessible in the browser.

Feel free to reach out anytime you need further assistance.

Cheers,

Princess