acplus21
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Purchase of property

Hi, I need to enter a purchase of a property with deposit paid on contract signing and loan drawdown on settlement of property two months later. How do I enter these transactions in Myob Accountright?

thank

5 REPLIES 5
Princess_R
MYOB Moderator
3,163 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,163Posts

117Kudos

489Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Purchase of property

Hi @acplus21,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the Community Forum!

To manage the purchase of the property, the Spend Money and Receive Money options. The initial deposit made at the time of contract signing can be documented as a Receive Money transaction, while the loan drawdown at settlement and the actual property purchase can be recorded as a Spend Money transaction. While you can also use a journal entry for this purpose, it's advisable to consult your accountant first. This ensures that you record the transaction correctly, using the appropriate accounts for your accounting needs, and complying with tax regulations accurately.

Feel free to create a new post again if you need further help.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Cheers,

Princess

Song
Contributing Cover User
5 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Princess_R 

Thanks for your reply to @acplus21. I have the same question.

I find that using Recieve Money and Spend Money is easier for me to record a purchase of property. 

I am confused about using Recieve Money to record deposit made on signing contract (10% of the contract price), and again on settlement (anothe 10%).

I have created - 

Asset account for the purchase, contract price; and asset accounts for stamp duty, legal etc

Liability account for loan advanced by lender

Expense account for interest

Which account (asset, liability, expense or equity) to go for deposits made? Receive Money from which account to which account?

Shall I put all entries in Spend Money against the settlement statement? 

Thank you in advance.

Earl_HD
MYOB Moderator
3,366 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,366Posts

115Kudos

264Solutions

Hi @Song,

Thanks for your post. In this situation, it's best to consult with an accountant for accurate guidance. Generally, when recording property purchases and deposits in MYOB:

• Use "Receive Money" for deposits, with the "From Account" being your bank account and the "To Account" as the asset account for the property purchase.
  • For expenses like stamp duty and legal fees, use "Spend Money" with your bank account as the "From Account" and the appropriate expense account as the "To Account."

For deposits:

• Use "Receive Money" to record the 10% deposit on signing the contract, selecting your bank account as the "From Account" and the property's asset account as the "To Account."
  • Similarly, use "Receive Money" for the 10% settlement deposit, with your bank account as the "From Account" and the property's asset account as the "To Account."

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help!

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Regards,
Earl

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

Song
Contributing Cover User
5 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you @Earl_HD 

All numbers balance now.

Regards, 

Song

Earl_HD
MYOB Moderator
3,366 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,366Posts

115Kudos

264Solutions

Hi @Song,

You're welcome! If you have any more questions, please feel free to create a new post, and we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards,
Earl

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post