Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Display: Distinguishing Multiple Company Data Files

Cover User

14Posts

126Kudos

0Solutions

14 Posts
Cover User
Australia

I frequently run several Company Data Files in a day, I'm sure this isn't unusual. However a number of my companies have very similar names. I was wondering if there is a setting that will change the background colour or change the colour scheme of the Command Centre to make it easier to differentiate between to company files quickly.

I am running MYOB AccountRight Plus 2011.

Thank you

Jen

"Distinguishing Multiple Company Data Files"

57 Comments
Liam_M
3,488 Posts
Former Staff

Hello Jen,

Welcome the MYOB community forum.

The background colour within AccountRight is not customisable. The main way to differentiate between files is by the filename. When you have a company file open the filename will be in the displayed in the titlebar (top left-hand corner of the screen). When you first create a file the filename will default to the company name - but it can be changed later so that it displays additional information.

To change the name of your file go open the My AccountRight Files folder on your hard drive. By default, this will be in the following location:

Windows Vista/Windows: 7/Windows Server 2008: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\MYOB\My AccountRight Files

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\MYOB\My AccountRight Files

One you have opened this folder right click on your file and click rename.

JenWestside
14 Posts
Cover User

Thank you Liam

I am fully aware of the File names displayed in the toolbar; however I was just hoping that there was some way to customise this program. I find sometimes when a company completely disregards core functionality of their programme package they will include a rarely used feature, such as the one I was hoping for.

Oh well, back to the buyer’s remorse.

Barry_C
MYOB Staff
2,948 Posts
MYOB Staff

Hi JenWestside,

Just another suggestion.  Every company file has it's own company file ID number that can be found through your Help menu >> About AccountRight.  Why this wouldn't be the best way, it's another way of confirming you are in the correct file.

Julie_A_C
Partner
3,363 Posts
Partner

I can totally understand your frustration Jen and don't think Liam or Barry understand at all what an advantage this would be.

The ability to look in a flash at the screen and know by the colour that you are in the wrong file would be a god send at times. 

A lot of us get to work with a client who has multiple  businesses, trusts or companies.  For example the Joe bloggs Family Trust, The Joe Bloggs Property Trust, the Joe Bloggs Superannuation Fund.

It would be simple to just open one file at a time but you usually have numerous intercompany loans happening here and it is much better to have them all open at the same time, so immediate visual confirmation that you are in the correct file would be appreciated and maybe could be slated on future releases.  We can customise font so why not background colour.

Barry_C
MYOB Staff
2,948 Posts
MYOB Staff

Hi MummaMia and JenWestside,

I do understand and agree with you that being able to designate a background colour would be a easy way of identifying the company file you are in at a glance.  I am more then happy to forward this feedback onto our developers on your behalf.

JennyC64
2 Posts
Cover User

Has there been any change re: this issue of not being able to easily identify which company file is open?

Leeya
MYOB Staff
824 Posts
MYOB Staff

Hi JennyC64

This product suggestion is still with our product team for consideration. I will update this post as soon as I hear anything about this feature being included in a future release.

Thank you for your interest in this matter.

Growers
Trusted Cover User
61 Posts
Trusted Cover User

I am also very keen to see some customisable screen settings being available for each data file that is open. I'd hate to think of how many times I have seen data entered in the wrong file and requiring re-entry in the correct one.

I can't believe this has not been included as a standard feature before now. It's about as basic a requirement as seatbelts in a car.

Greg

JasonHill
5,899 Posts
Former Staff

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I have moved this thread to the idea exchange so that others can vote for the idea and add their comments.

All the best,

Jason Hill
Community Manager

JasonHill
5,899 Posts
Former Staff