Bank interest earned in multi currency / closing a multi currency bank account

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
LeighH1977
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

13Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Bank interest earned in multi currency / closing a multi currency bank account

Hi team, hoping someone out there may have a solution for my 1 queries today. Running accountright premier V19.15 with muti currency. We are holding US$ currency in an account and this is reflected correctly in our account list however 2 things recently happened and i am a bit stumped on how to deal with it.....

1) We rcvd interest income in the FX account of US$13.41. Can anyone let me know the best way to transact this so the US$ account reflects the income and our account list reflects the new balance.

2) We recenly converted all the US$ to AU$ and closed the account and transferred the funds into our normal bank account. Anyone have a suggestion on best way to account for this to reflect the new US$0 balance and deposited funds into the AU$ account?

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,865 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,865Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Bank interest earned in multi currency / closing a multi currency bank account

Hi @LeighH1977, I suggest the following:

Record a Receive Money transaction for the interest income. When recording, select the USD currency first to allow you to then select the USD bank account. Use the day's exchange rate. Allocate to interest income.

To transfer the USD balance to AUD, you can use a Spend Money transaction on the USD account. The exchange rate will be set by what you received in AUD. Allocate the amount to the AUD bank account. Check before you record how much the AUD amount will be, as there may be the odd cent difference, which you will need to record by a separate receipt or payment transaction, allocated to (say) bank fees.

Finally, once the transfer has been recorded, check that the USD balance has gone to nil. The USD exchange account however is unlikely to be nil, the balance should be transferred by AUD general journal to the currency variance account.

Hope that helps you.

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

LeighH1977
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

13Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Bank interest earned in multi currency / closing a multi currency bank account

You are a star Mike, thank you. I had this issue once before and couldnt recall how to resolve it.....of course just the currency toggle from AU$ to US$ allows the FX account to be selected. it was driving me crazy looking at the accounts in the drop down list of the receive money and not seeing the one i needed!! thanks again.

FitProfits
Partner
2 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

2Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Mike,

Simple As!

Cheers Ian

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post