Forum Discussion

BalmoralPnC
Experienced User
3 years ago

Employee Onboarding

Hi does the new employee onboarding lodge TFN directly through STP or does a TFN declaration form still need to be lodged?  

Thanks

Sacha

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi BalmoralPnC

Information on the employee self - onboarding is available on our help article Employee self-onboarding, it does mention that until you're on STP Phase 2, you'll need to continue sending TFN declarations to the ATO for new employees. Once you're on STP Phase 2, a new employee's tax details will be sent to the ATO when you declare their first pay run from AccountRight, so you won't need to submit a TFN declaration.

Do let us know if you have any further questions. 

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

BalmoralPnC
      Experienced User

Ok and how do I know that I'm on STP Phase 2?  I've completed the new drop down under payroll categories under ATO Reporting Category Phase 2.  Is there anything else I need to do / check  ?

Should this now report to the ATO correctly without having to ldoge a TFN if I get staff to do the onboarding through Myob?  Is this the same as if they complete these details through Myob Team?  As the employee is entering the information themselves so it is their declaration?

And if for some reason they can't complete via Myob Team or onboarding form I assume I still need to prepare hard copy form?

Thanks

ELC-Leo
        Experienced Cover User

Hi BalmoralPnC,

I've been trying to find anwers to questions like yours, and others, with little success, and little help from MYOB.
        But since MYOB haven't replied to you, from what I read at the below link, I think I can help you determine if your MYOB is on STP Phase 2 yet. (But honestly, I haven't seen that any MYOB customer is on STP Phase 2 yet, two months after it's commencement. I think MYOB applied for the deferral from the ATO becasue they aren't ready. And they are framing the deferal as a benefit to their customers, when really we would benefit from STP Phase 2 being impemented for all of us on 1 January 2022.)

https://community.myob.com/t5/AccountRight-Staffing-and/STP-Phase-2-commencement-date-for-MYOB-Attn-MYOB-Support/td-p/738500

Payroll > Payroll Categories 

Open one of the Payroll Categories from the Payroll Category List window.

In the Wages Information window that opens, if you see a message that says, "STP Phase 2 is coming", and two ATO Reporting Cetegories instead of one, then apparently you are not on STP Phase 2 yet.

Personally, with so many questions unanswered, it seems too confusing and risky to use Employee Self-Onboarding at this stage. We'll have to wait for them to implement and support it properly.  While I'm on a roll, I also don't see anywhere MYOB letting us know that our employees will be presented with advertising from super funds during their on-boarding process, which I find duplicitous.

MaxxMusic
    Contributing Cover User

Hi BalmoralPnC ,

If you're using STP Phase 2 you  don't need to SEND the TFN declaration to the ATO anymore, however, according to what I have read, you still have to have a copy on file! Annoying!!

Taken from this link:  https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Single-Touch-Payroll/Expanding-Single-Touch-Payroll-(Phase-2)/

Benefits of STP Phase 2

Benefits for employers

We'll use the STP Phase 2 information to streamline employer interactions. For example:

• You'll no longer have to send us your employees' tax file number (TFN) declarations. Your employees will provide it to you, and you'll need to keep it with your employee records.