Reinstating employee - Entitlements incorrect - need help ASAP please

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
SharonSL
Trusted Cover User
179 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

179Posts

88Kudos

3Solutions

Reinstating employee - Entitlements incorrect - need help ASAP please

Hi,

I am having the same issue as other users where an employee who left in October 2022 and has just been reinstated has incorrect annual and personal leave accrual balances - which seems to be a bug within MYOB.  

I have payroll today, is someone able to assist ASAP please?  

Thanks,

Sharon

18 REPLIES 18
vidario1
Trusted User
95 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

95Posts

23Kudos

5Solutions

Re: Reinstating employee - Entitlements incorrect - need help ASAP please

Unfortunately MYOB doesn't automatically clear the existing entitlements when you terminate and then re-employ someone.

In my experience there are three options:

1. Create a brand new employee card for this employee. This is sometimes easier and more transparent than editing a current card, depending on circumstances. You can then rename the old card something like Z-Smith, John, so that it's at the bottom of the employee card list but still searchable.

2. Go into the employees entitlements' tab and put in negative amounts in the 'Balance Adjustment' fields so that the total equals 0 (or whatever the correct current pre-payroll entitlement is). It's useful to create a matching Contact Log entry for this so that you have a note of this transaction for future reference. 

3. Run a separate payroll for this employee. When starting the payroll, choose 'Process all employees paid: Bonus/Commission" - as this will clear out any standard pay element and provide a 'blank' payslip. Then you can put in a negative amount under Annual Leave Accrual that will clear the entitlement balance to 0 (or whatever the current payroll entitlement should be). I would personally choose 'Pay Slip Delivery Status: Already Printed or Sent' so that the employee doesn't get a $0 payslip which may be confusing.

Hope this helps and/or makes sense Smiley Happy

Thanks

vidario

Melisa_D
10,735 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

10,735Posts

0Kudos

1,186Solutions

Hi @SharonSL

If the Entitlement balance detail report is out of balance for the reinstated employee can you please send me a private message with the below details so I can arrange the repair for you:

• The employee's name
  • The date of termination
  • The date of reinstatement
  • Serial number
  • Your full name and email address
  • Confirmation of which entitlements are out of balance

Cheers,
Melisa

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

SharonSL
Trusted Cover User
179 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

179Posts

88Kudos

3Solutions

Hi Vidario,

Sorry for the late reply but thank you for your help.  Very disappointing that MYOB is aware of this issue but hasn't bothered to resolve it. Pretty serious flaw if you ask me. 

As I had to process the reinstated employees pay that day I ended up creating a new card.  Pretty silly of MYOB to provide instructions on how to reinstate employees when they know there is this issue.

Thanks again for your help Smiley Happy

SharonSL
Trusted Cover User
179 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

179Posts

88Kudos

3Solutions

Hi Melisa,

Thanks for your reply.

As mentioned in my answer to Vidaro, as I had to process the reinstated employees pay that day I ended up creating a new card.  I don't understand why MYOB provides instructions on how to reinstate employees when this is a known issue.

I had managed to speak to a MYOB consultant on a chat that day and their first suggestion was to create a new card too! Otherwise it would take around 5 days to do the file repair which you have messaged me about. Too late when you only discover this is an issue and need to process a pay the same day. He advised that should I need to reinstate an employee in the future to request help in advance.  Not very helpful.

Thanks,

Sharon

Kellmet
Experienced User
21 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

21Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Meilsa_D

I am having he same issue as SharonSL. We have two employeed that were paid out their entitlements and have returned back to work and their old entitlements of long service and annual leave are showing in the system still.

Can you please assit how w can remove these as they were Ful Time and now are both casual.

Thank you.

vidario1
Trusted User
95 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

95Posts

23Kudos

5Solutions

Hi @Kellmet 

In my personal experience, when re-employing an employee, and especially if they change employment basis, e.g. from permanent to casual, you're better off creating a new employee card.

Not only will the "old" balances be off, but they'll also keep showing up in leave entitlements reports, even though their status has changed to casual (and even if their entitlements balance is cleared to 0).

Hope that helps.

Thanks

vidario

Kellmet
Experienced User
21 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

21Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Vidaro.

Is it possible to zero out the old entitlements from the employee card as they have already been paid out?

vidario1
Trusted User
95 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

95Posts

23Kudos

5Solutions

Yes, you can zero them out by going to the Employee card -> Payroll Details -> Entitlements and enter a negative amount in the first column (Balance Adjustment) to make the Total 0. 

Kellmet
Experienced User
21 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

21Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you.

Will this affect the entitlements total when a report is run?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post