Forum Discussion

ChristineH1991
Contributing User
3 years ago

Reversal of Electronic Payment

Hi All,

In screenshot 1, these are the outstanding transactions after the quarter had been reconciled. 

The reversal EP000135 for wages was incorrect,  should have been $6,454.70. 

I clicked on the arrow to open up the window, clicked Edit > Delete Electronic Payment Transaction. 

Opening up the Prepare Electronic Payment Window, it now shows all poisitive payments instead of reversals (screenshot 2).

Where did I go wrong? How do I fix it? 

Thanking you all in advance!

Christine

*Screenshot removed by MYOB Moderator as it contained sensitive information, ^TH

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi ChristineH1991 

Thanks for your post. I removed your second screenshot as it contained employee names and wage amounts. Please make sure sensitive information is removed from screenshots prior to posting on the public Forum.

The Prepare electronic payments window lists the payroll transactions so only reversals of payroll transactions will appear. When you reverse an electronic payment transaction only the EP transaction is reversed, not the payroll transactions. The payroll transactions will reappear in the Prepare electronic payment window so that you can reprocess the electronic payment.

If you reverse the wrong EP transaction you would reprocess the transaction in the Prepare electronic payments window. In the Reconcile accounts window you'd have two withdrawals (EPs) and one deposit (reversal). Tick one withdrawal and the deposit, as they're the same amount they clear each out and ticking them removes them from the Reconcile accounts window. The other withdrawal can be matched with the bank feed or manually reconciled as normal.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

ChristineH1991
      Contributing User

HI Tracey,

Thank you for your response.

Please see my further comments in green below.

When you reverse an electronic payment transaction only the EP transaction is reversed, not the payroll transactions. The payroll transactions will reappear in the Prepare electronic payment window so that you can reprocess the electronic payment.

I didn't reverse the EP, I deleted the EP. Does this make a difference? Also it was a reversal I was deleting - so I was expecting to see reversals in the EP window. However, instead, after I deleted the EP for EP000135, the transactions in the electronic payment window were no longer negatives. See screenshot attached.

If you reverse the wrong EP transaction you would reprocess the transaction in the Prepare electronic payments window. In the Reconcile accounts window you'd have two withdrawals (EPs) and one deposit (reversal). Tick one withdrawal and the deposit, as they're the same amount they clear each out and ticking them removes them from the Reconcile accounts window. The other withdrawal can be matched with the bank feed or manually reconciled as normal.

If I reprocess as is, I'll have 2 withdrawals and no reversals. The correct withdrawal has already been ticked and reconciled. The problem was that the reversal EP000135 (which was to contra the withdrawal EP000132) was for the incorrect amount. So I deleted the EP with the intention of redoing the affected payroll transaction.

Hope the above makes sense.

Thanks,

Christine

Tracey_H
        Former Staff

ChristineH1991 

Hi Christine

Firstly I'll clarify on the Prepare electronic payments window because I think that makes it easier to understand the process. That window lists the payroll transactions, when you tick transactions and click on Bank file the bank file is created and the electronic payment transaction is created. The electronic payment transaction only moves the amount from the electronic clearing account to the bank account so it appears as a withdrawal in the bank account and clears the selected payroll transactions from that window.

If I delete the EP transaction the journal posting the amount from the electronic clearing account to the bank account is deleted and the pay transaction is put back in the Prepare electronic payments window because it's no longer included in an EP.

If I reverse the EP transaction a new journal is recorded that moves the amount from the bank account back to the electronic clearing account (the opposite of the EP transaction) and the pay transaction is put back in the Prepare electronic payments window because it's no longer included in an EP.

As the Prepare electronic payments window only lists the payroll transactions, not the EP transactions, if I reverse a payroll transaction it will appear as a reversal in that window:

If I understand your situation correctly you reversed the wrong EP, so instead of reversing EP132 you reversed EP134 then deleted the incorrect reversal (EP135). The only way to clear those pay transactions from the Prepare electronic payments window is to record the transaction.

You're going to have to delete the reconciled withdrawal then go to Prepare electronic payments, reprocess the payment again and reconcile that new EP.

Don't process the electronic payment first then delete the reconciled withdrawal because that will just put the pay transactions back in the Prepare electronic payments window.

Please let me know how you go with this.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.