Forum Discussion

TomD
Trusted Cover User
11 months ago
Solved

Terminating a casual employee

I am going through the year end processes and as part of this thought about doing clean up on some old left-overs - staff that were employed on a casual basis but have not come back for years. This was before STP, so they are still sitting as inactive - does it matter if I terminate them now with reporting to the ATO? 

None of that will have any bearing on pays or entitlements, so I am not sure if I should just leave things alone? 

• Hi TomD

For the termination date, it's not necessary to use the exact date. If that is for previous years you can only estimate the time the employee left the company.

If you do require further assistance feel free to reply to this post.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
    Leneth

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Kedam
    Experienced Cover User

I have this same question.  Some of the casuals may even be re-employed at some point but some have been inactive since 2019

Leneth_A
    MYOB Moderator

Hi TomD and Kedam

Thanks for your post and Welcome here in the Community Forum. I hope you find it a wealth of knowledge. In this matter, you may terminate the employee, you would just need to make sure that you have the correct date and year.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
    Leneth

TomD
      Trusted Cover User

Leneth,

how relevant is the exact date and year.  These were casuals and they have never formally been terminated, so would I take the time to look when they were last paid or pick the 30. June of that particular financial year?

Do I need to terminate them or can I just forget about them?

Leneth_A
        MYOB Moderator

Hi TomD

For the termination date, it's not necessary to use the exact date. If that is for previous years you can only estimate the time the employee left the company.

If you do require further assistance feel free to reply to this post.

Cheers,
        Leneth