Forum Discussion

DMadmin
Experienced User
12 months ago
Solved

Time in lieu

Hi there. I am wanting to setup TIME IN LIEU for employees instead of paying OVERTIME.

If i follow the instructions i can see that would mean an employee is working an hour for an hour in the calculations.

But if the overtime is either time and half or double time then surely Time in Lieu has to accrue more to allow for the dollar value of the hours worked.

How do i set up calculations for time and a half (eg our staff get paid 2 hours O/T at time n half and then anything after that is Double time) ?? TIA

• Hi DMadmin 

I don't think you are understanding what TOIL (Time Of In Lieu) is about.

It means that instead of getting an overtime rate for say the extra 7 hours that employee worked at overtime rates,

they can have a day off, do nothing at home or go out with the family and be paid for that.  Instead of them having to work the day and get some slightly higher pay for the 7 hours overtime they did, but be burnt out by the end of the week.

Therefore, you do 5 hours overtime, we wont pay you for that, as agreed, but we will pay you to do whatever you like for 5 hours.

Check your award though as to how TOIL is to be managed and when not used, how payment is then made for those hours.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi DMadmin 

I don't think you are understanding what TOIL (Time Of In Lieu) is about.

It means that instead of getting an overtime rate for say the extra 7 hours that employee worked at overtime rates,

they can have a day off, do nothing at home or go out with the family and be paid for that.  Instead of them having to work the day and get some slightly higher pay for the 7 hours overtime they did, but be burnt out by the end of the week.

Therefore, you do 5 hours overtime, we wont pay you for that, as agreed, but we will pay you to do whatever you like for 5 hours.

Check your award though as to how TOIL is to be managed and when not used, how payment is then made for those hours.