Forum Discussion

Karadoc
Experienced Cover User
4 years ago
Solved

Categories

Hi,

I need to allocate a credit for bad debt to 5 invoices that are in my system.

3 of the invoices have a category and they where created after we started to use categies so that is fine.

However, i have two invoices which where created before we started to use categories, how do i apply the credit so i can close off these two invoices, as they do not come up in the list when i create the credit note.

I have had to apply a category to the credit note as that is how the system is working now, but as the original invoices are without a category they do not show in the list of open invoices.

• Hi Karadoc 

If you were concerned that switching off the categories would have an adverse affect on your file, you could look at swapping the preference from categories are required to categories are not required. This will leave you with the categories field if you want to use it but you can record a transaction without assigning a category.

This would allow the credit to be recorded without a category to close off the invoice, and once all of those have been completed you can update the preference back to categories being required to ensure all transactions receive a category

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Neil_M
    Former Staff

Hi Karadoc 

As you’ll need to have the same category on the credit and the invoice its being applied to, there’s two potential options to resolving this.

The first would be to disable the categories are required preference so that these credits can be recorded without categories and thus applied to the outstanding invoices.

The alternative would probably need you to discuss with your accountant as it would involve recording a second sale (assuming the invoice is in a previous financial year) with the category attached and applying the credit to that. The original invoice would still remain open and would need to be reversed and the corresponding credit applied to the original sale. Do note that if category tracking is required on all transactions this will need to be temporarily turned off to apply the return.

Do note that this may have tax and other implications for your file and as such we do recommend discussing this with your accountant

Karadoc
      Experienced Cover User

Hi, 

Thanks for your answer Neil.

If i disable the categories and then re enable them once i have applied credit, will it effect any other transaction ie: will the data be lost for categories?

Neil_M
        Former Staff

Hi Karadoc 

If you were concerned that switching off the categories would have an adverse affect on your file, you could look at swapping the preference from categories are required to categories are not required. This will leave you with the categories field if you want to use it but you can record a transaction without assigning a category.

This would allow the credit to be recorded without a category to close off the invoice, and once all of those have been completed you can update the preference back to categories being required to ensure all transactions receive a category