Forum Discussion

DBOT
User
5 years ago
Solved

Invoice number reset after importing separate sequence CSV

Hi there.  Due to legal formatting requirements for our industry we generate some of our invoices in Excel, and would like the invoices generated in Excel to have their own number formatting i.e. The first three letters of the customer and then a sequential number we generate in Excel.   (e.g. ABC00001 )  Unfortunately whenever we import a sale it resets our invoice numbers in Myob back to 00000001 for the next invoice being generated within Myob itself.  Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

• Hi DBOT 

Just testing importing sales transactions and their affect on the autonumber format within AccountRight 20xx, that when the invoice number in the import file ends with a number the system will use that as the basis for the auto-number sequence if comma-separated files are imported.  For example, if you import a sale using that format with the invoice number of "abc12345" the next recorded invoice in AccountRight would use "00012346".

Interesting enough with my testing, it actually doesn't impact the invoice number sequence if a tab-delimited file is used. So using that file format instead of comma-separated may be a workaround for yourself. The other option would be to have an alpha-character listed at the end of the invoice number which would force AccountRight to not update that invoice number. 

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi DBOT 

Just testing importing sales transactions and their affect on the autonumber format within AccountRight 20xx, that when the invoice number in the import file ends with a number the system will use that as the basis for the auto-number sequence if comma-separated files are imported.  For example, if you import a sale using that format with the invoice number of "abc12345" the next recorded invoice in AccountRight would use "00012346".

Interesting enough with my testing, it actually doesn't impact the invoice number sequence if a tab-delimited file is used. So using that file format instead of comma-separated may be a workaround for yourself. The other option would be to have an alpha-character listed at the end of the invoice number which would force AccountRight to not update that invoice number. 

DBOT
      User

Thank you Steven,

I could definitely work with the information provided.  Your response is much appreciated.  

Regards

Derek