Forum Discussion

3 years ago
Solved

Invoices with an amount already paid

I need to invoice an insurance company $1000 (incl gst)  (for example) but there is an excess payable from the customer to me, of $300 (incl gst).  The Insurance company needs to pay $700 but must see that the $300 deductable excess has been paid for and noted on the invoice. How can I add a negative amount to an invoice?

Thank you

• Hi getnett1 

My apologies, you posted on the AccountRight board so I provided information based on that software. In the newer Essentials platform, if you are using the Services and items layout enter the No of units as a negative and the Unit price as a positive:

If you're using the Service layout, enter the Amount as a negative:

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi getnett1 

Thanks for your post. When recording the sale enter one line for $1000 allocated to the applicable account and a second line for negative $300 allocated to the applicable account. The balance owing on the invoice will be $700.

The accounts in my screenshot are for example purposes only. If you're not sure about which accounts to allocate the amounts to I'd recommend checking with your accountant.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

getnett1
      User

Thanks for your reply Tracey.  Along with my accountant we have tried inputing a negative amount however in the new MYOB Essentials it will not accept an amount - therein lies the problem.  

Tracey_H
        Former Staff

Hi getnett1 

My apologies, you posted on the AccountRight board so I provided information based on that software. In the newer Essentials platform, if you are using the Services and items layout enter the No of units as a negative and the Unit price as a positive:

If you're using the Service layout, enter the Amount as a negative:

getnett1
      User

Thanks for your reply Tracey.  Along with my accountant we have tried inputing a negative amount however in the new MYOB Essentials it will not accept an amount - therein lies the problem.  How can you input a negative amount on the new MYOB Essentials invoicing page?

Tracey_H wrote:

Hi getnett1 

Thanks for your post. When recording the sale enter one line for $1000 allocated to the applicable account and a second line for negative $300 allocated to the applicable account. The balance owing on the invoice will be $700.

The accounts in my screenshot are for example purposes only. If you're not sure about which accounts to allocate the amounts to I'd recommend checking with your accountant.