Forum Discussion

DelpClem
Trusted Cover User
4 years ago
Solved

Payroll hour calculation

Hi

Our staff work a 38 hour week over 5 days, when I am processing their pay on a daily basis, is 7.6 equal to 7.6 hours or 7 hrs and 0.6 of an hour - by my calculation works out to 40 minutes?  Which would then mean they are being paid for 7 hrs 40 mins every day - I think this is correct?

I feel like this should be really simple to process in my head but I just cant get it, any help/clarification will be very welcome!

Thanks 

• Hello DelpClem 

As I see it, a 38 hour, 5 day week would work out to 7 hours and 36 minutes per day. 

38 hours / 5 days = 7.6 hours per day

That .6 could also be written as 60% of the next hour.

60% of 60 (minutes) is 36 minutes.

To check that, 36 minutes x 5 days = 180 minutes total

180 minutes / 60 minutes = 3 full hours

7 full hours x 5 days = 35 hours, plus 3 full hours = 38 hours within 5 days.

Could you let me know a bit more context surrounding your post, is there an issue in your payroll that I can help with? If you are seeing a figure in the software that doesn't add up as you think it should, please do let me know or provide a screenshot so that I can clarify or look into things further for you. 

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Emily_B
    Former Staff

Hello DelpClem 

As I see it, a 38 hour, 5 day week would work out to 7 hours and 36 minutes per day. 

38 hours / 5 days = 7.6 hours per day

That .6 could also be written as 60% of the next hour.

60% of 60 (minutes) is 36 minutes.

To check that, 36 minutes x 5 days = 180 minutes total

180 minutes / 60 minutes = 3 full hours

7 full hours x 5 days = 35 hours, plus 3 full hours = 38 hours within 5 days.

Could you let me know a bit more context surrounding your post, is there an issue in your payroll that I can help with? If you are seeing a figure in the software that doesn't add up as you think it should, please do let me know or provide a screenshot so that I can clarify or look into things further for you. 

DelpClem
    Trusted Cover User

Hi

Thank you for your reply.  There is no issue with our payroll calculations, I just had to get the mathematics on how the hours are calculated to be able to explain clearly.  Your explanation clarified, thanks again