Forum Discussion

Corplock13
Cover User
5 years ago
Solved

Salary Sacrifice employee

Hi, I have an employee who made a regular fortnightly Salary Sacrifice last financial year which reduced his Gross income by $9880. However when he lodged his tax return the prefill on the return showed his original salary of $90000 not the reduced salary of $80120. He manually made the amendment but ATO still used the higher figure in his notice of assessment which meant he was hit with a substantial tax payable bill.

The ATO has advised that the employer (me) has to make a correction to EOFY finalisation report so an amended Tax return can be completed by my employee. I have made the change in the payroll category list Superannuation - Salary Sacrifice - clicked the "Reportable Employer Super Contribution" tab which I think is now correct.

My question is in regards to making the change for last financial, to assist my employee.

Can anyone advise me how I can complete this step? We run AccountRight and use STP reporting.

• Hi Corplock13 

You will need to undo the finalistion in the Payroll Reporting Centre by selecting the EOFY Finalisation tab>>Choose the payroll year>>click on the ... button for that employee and select Remove Finalisation.

To make the necessary changes in the previous financial year you will need to restore a backup and process a $0 (void) pay to update and correct the YTD amounts with the ATO. Once you have checked the YTD verification report is correct you can refinalise the employee.

Please let me know if you need further help.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Corplock13 

You will need to undo the finalistion in the Payroll Reporting Centre by selecting the EOFY Finalisation tab>>Choose the payroll year>>click on the ... button for that employee and select Remove Finalisation.

To make the necessary changes in the previous financial year you will need to restore a backup and process a $0 (void) pay to update and correct the YTD amounts with the ATO. Once you have checked the YTD verification report is correct you can refinalise the employee.

Corplock13
      Cover User

Thanks Tracey, Great advice. 

I thought this was going to be really tricky but your solution worked a treat!

Everything updated perfectly and I resent the file to ATO.

Much appreciated

Cheers

Ian

JenniK
      Experienced Partner

Can you explain please..  This is good news  or I am still misunderstanding... I thought if I restored a back up file and did those payroll changes you suggested that I could never refinalise the Payroll reporting because it is only a backup.. I thought only my current file would be accepted by the ATO for STP and EOFY finalisation ?

Tracey_H
        Former Staff

Hi JenniK 

You're not misunderstanding, you can restore a backup, make adjustments and redo EOFY finalisation. If you make payroll adjustments in a backup for the previous FY, the YTD amounts are updated for that FY. When you redo the EOFY finalisation, select the previous FY and the YTD verification report sent to the ATO is for that year.  

When you finalise the EOFY you are reporting the YTD amounts to the ATO (like the empdupe but a different method), not sending your company file.