GST Cash Repot not displaying sales imported from Square

Brad74
2 Posts
User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

GST Cash Repot not displaying sales imported from Square

We import our cash and eftpos sales from our Square POS system using integration sofwtare Amaka.

We report GST on a cash basis. The cash and eftpos sales are not showing on the GST cash report.

The sales invoices all appear as closed. The GST accrual report is runnning correctly.

Any suggestions?

13 REPLIES 13
carena
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Re: GST Cash Repot not displaying sales imported from Square

Hi - I have this same issue. Did you ever manage to find a solution? I've been told to just manually adjust in my excel reports, but it's a nightmare reconciliation that I really shouldn't have to do!

SimonL1
4 Posts
User

4Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thank goodness I'm not the only one with this issue. (this relates MYOB Business, not sure about others).

I have raised this exact case with both Amaka and MYOB - raised tickets with both companies - neither seem interested in fixing the issue and point the finger at the other party. 

It's really quite unbelivable that an integration of Square and MYOB will NOT allow you to report GST on a cash basis without some serious workarounds, in fact the issue is with any cash report (rather than accrual) eg P&L. How can one of the largest POS systems not have proper MYOB integration.

It's caused by "negative" line items applied to invoices/bills that the integration uses to import Square transaction - adding the line whilst zeroing the invoice/bill (and hence entering the double entry) does not appear to mark the bill/invoice as properly "paid" behind the scenes and therefore the items on the bill/invoice only ever appear in accrual reports and not cash ones - a invoice payment / supplier payment is needed to properly close the bill (dispite what MYOB reports in the summary).

As the invoice/bill remains not properly marked as paid, it will not show on the GST BAS report in cash mode, or ANY cash based report (eg P&L etc.). Amaka will claim this is the only way to do things because of the complexities of various payment methods with Square (eg it could also be from a voucher), I'm not so sure, so we now have a finger pointing game where it appears nobody is seeking to resolve the matter.

MYOB Invoice Total Amounts are Zero | Amaka

The very long workaround I have found works is as follows

• Go into each invoice generated by the integration (one for each day!)
  • Remove the negative amount line item that says paid from Square balance (hopefully that's your only negative line)
  • Save invoice
  • Create a full payment for the invoice, select bank account as Square balance and apply it. (you could perhaps apply one payment to several invoices if you wished rather than each one ensuring it doesn't span reporting periods)

Then for bills, do similar

• Go into each bill generated by the Square integration (usually this has Square's fees/charges)
  • Remove the negative amount line item that says paid from Square balance
  • Save
  • Record a full payment on the bill, selecting Square balance as the bank account (you could perhaps apply one payment to several bills if you wished rather than each one ensuring it doesn't span reporting periods)

Make sure the above is done for EVERY invoice/bill generated for this integration. Note there are no issues with the "transfer" transaction the Square integration creates to transfer from Square Balance to your nominated bank account.

I have then found cash reports should then reconcile correctly as the bills/invoices have been properly closed/paid with an invoice payment / bill payment rather than the negative line items.

Doreen_P
MYOB Moderator
3,365 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,365Posts

174Kudos

365Solutions

Hi, @SimonL1 

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the MYOB Community Forum.

We're sorry for the delay in response. 

We truly appreciate you providing the resolution and workaround regarding the issue with GST Cash reports. It will help other users who might have the same issue to find a workaround. Thank you for supporting the MYOB Community Forum.

Best regards,

Doreen

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

Brad74
2 Posts
User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Yes thank you Simon.

I agree quite unbelievable this matter is not being resolved.

While the workaround provides a solution editing every transaction is not a feasible option.

I do not have time to chase this further to ground. It is just another reason I will recommend my client to convert the MYOB to Xero, where I do not have the same issues.

SimonL1
4 Posts
User

4Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

I have no doubt if the right heads from MYOB and Amaka get together they could resolve this, but the support from both parties is just woeful - (I've raised at least 3 or 4 bug requests with MYOB since I started using it this year and each time the response has been very very ordinary).

If Square integration works far better with Xero and reporting on a cash basis then I may have no option to move as well at the end of the year as the workaround takes just too much time. 

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,010 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,010Posts

911Kudos

635Solutions

Hi @Brad74 

The explanation at the Amaka link is IMHO a poor 'miss-direct'. I am not an 'apologist' for MYOB, however this is not a MYOB problem. There are hundreds of integrations that work properly, there are many that don't. When a developer takes a 'short-cut' rather than doing things in accordance with how MYOB functions, the end result usually has flow on consequences, which is what you are seeing here.

I have seen worse. 

Without knowing more about what exactly the integration is doing it is difficult to add any value. Typically Sales are brought into MYOB via a Sales Invoice. A Payment is then applied to that invoice. The Payment is usually deposited to an asset account which is designated as a 'Bank' account, it does not have to be an actual bank account, merely designated as such, so you can use a clearing account. Despite the Amaka explanation, this is not the problem. The problem would be matching the Payment with the invoice. This seems to be where the integration is falling apart. The API allows the developer to allocate an invoice number, which the integration could store until the payment is processed, and use that invoice number to apply the payment.

One integration I have seen created the sales invoice and failed to capture the invoice number. The invoice was for $100 and remained open (there was no negative amount posted as you have with yours). When processing the Payment, a new $0 invoice was created and then the Payment was applied to this invoice, creating a credit note. So the MYOB file had 2 invoices, one open for $100 and another with credit of $100, net zero. From a lazy developer's view, no problem. From a client's view, thousands of open invoices that will never be closed and thousands of matching credit notes. Client was expected to later apply credits to open invoices to close the invoices.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
SimonL1
4 Posts
User

4Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

@gavin12345 this is great information of what is likely happening behind the scenes. I hadn't looked at the MYOB API.

An issue here is MYOB endorse and promote this integration and Square isn't exactly some obscure application! So if people set up MYOB expecting this to work (like me) then any limitations should be clear rather than having individuals scratching their heads why transactions don't appear in reports. It's not usual to use cash reporting for GST.

https://www.myob.com/au/apps/products/square 

As you say you can only create a payment for an invoice from a designated bank account, the Square Balance which is generally used for payment by this integration is set up as a bank account (it's essentially a clearing account where fees are deducted with a bill, then a transfer created to the bank account when it clears), however some of the other Square asset accounts may not be designated as such (eg gift cards) and perhaps this is the reason for implementation. My workaround sounds like it could be done automatically, because the "payment" is applied to the invoice immediately after it is created through a clearing account, so there is no need to store the invoice number. (a similar thing needs to be done for the bill part being paid by the clearing account). 

One can only hope someone senior enough takes issue with this particular broken implementaiton and seeks to fix it in some way.

1133Julz
Partner
20 Posts
Partner
Partner

20Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

This is pititful.

Just have my first client using Square with MYOB thats on a cash basis and have found this issue. 

I think I will be seeing if I can convert them to Xero. 

Doreen_P
MYOB Moderator
3,365 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,365Posts

174Kudos

365Solutions

Hi All

Thanks for your post.

This occurs because of the way data is transmitted through the integration, resulting in the payment being added as a negative line on the sale. To resolve this, you can either run the reporting on an accrual basis or delete the negative payment line on the transaction. Alternatively, you can manually enter the payment using the "take payment" feature.

Feel free to post again anytime if you require further assistance. 

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users in finding this information.

Best regards,

Doreen

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post