Character limit on Company Name

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
UNHAPPY5
6 Posts
User

6Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Character limit on Company Name

Urgent help required!

I am trying to create a new contact. It's for a new customer that is a government client that happens to have a long name. For example Smith Constructions & Peters Building Company Joint Venture Road Project Pty Ltd.

MYOB wont let me save this new contact. 

I keeping getting the following error message: One or more fields exceed the maximum character limit.

The customer has advised that I must use their full name on all invoices. I cant issue an invoice which means I cant get paid.

As a workaround (not that I should have to find one), I tried to create the new customer as an individual rather than a company but I am still having the same problem.

What are the character limits on each of the following:

• customer name
  • first name
  • surname/family name
  • contact ID

This wasnt a problem before the upgrade. 

6 REPLIES 6
Roz4
Experienced User
11 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

11Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Character limit on Company Name

Have you had any response to this issue.  I need to expand the Contact Name Tab. Not getting any help from MYOB on this.

UNHAPPY5
6 Posts
User

6Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Roz4,

Would you believe that I havent had a response from MYOB?

As if MYOB would respond to users who are unable to complete such a basic task of sending an invoice to a customer due to character limits on company name.

Hello MYOB - is anyone there to respond today?

Celia_B
MYOB Moderator
2,108 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,108Posts

61Kudos

140Solutions

Hi @UNHAPPY5 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you'll find it a wealth of knowledge.

MYOB Business does not allow to increase in the character limit. Currently, the Company Name field is limited to a set of characters in 49 characters including spaces. If you do have a name that is longer than that, my recommendation would be to look into abbreviating the name where possible. i.e Use bldg. instead of Building, Const. instead of construction. 

However, you could use the description to put a longer name. The description allows you to have up to 255 characters. and for the customer name it allows 8-13 characters. 

I hope this help. Please feel free to post again. I'm happy to assist you further. 

If my response has answered your inquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Best Regards, 

Cel

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

RobDodge1971
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hey mate, Did you ever work this out?

I have EXACLTY the same issue where the entity i need to invoice is longer than MYOB allow (This NEVER happened until the most recent "update")..........Lest call it a "downdate" !!!!

They mention adding more the "description" area, which doesnt even exist on my version !!!!

Cheers

Rob

Roz4
Experienced User
11 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

11Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

No, apparently they are aware and working on it. Ever so slowly tho.  My solution for well used company names ie recurring was to shorten the name to something that was easily recognisable so It cut down my search time.  I deal with several companies with different cost centres so in the interim its the best I can do. Still not ideal

Princess_R
MYOB Moderator
3,079 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,079Posts

110Kudos

468Solutions

Hi @Roz4,

Thank you for your post. We apologize for not being able to get back to you right away.

As MYOB Business/Essentials has limitations in the company name field, which only has a set of 49 characters including spaces, the current workaround is to shorten the name by abbreviating each name. I encouraged you to post on our Product Ideas Board to forward this feedback for developers to review.

We always appreciate your suggestions and feedback. Rest assured that we'll pass on your feedback to the relevant team.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cheers,
Princess

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post