Forum Discussion

WendN
User
2 years ago

Salary Sacrifice showing in Superannuation Expense and Wages and Salaries

I've processed a Salary Sacrifice Contribution and the amount is appearing in BOTH Superannuation Expense and Wages & Salaries effectively doubling the amount in the P&L. 

The payrun is purely to create a salary sacrifice contribution (we are a family trust and just have an end of year distribution - no payruns normally). The amount is being entered to Salary Sacrifice deduction during the Pay Run.

Previously used a clearing house, but accountant advises must report all Salary Sacrifice and any Super Guarantee contributions via STP now to the ATO. Is this correct?

If so, how to I just have the super conts appearing in Super Expenses, and not also in Wages?

Thanks 

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi WendN 

Thanks for your post. There's three different processes involved in your query so I'll run through each one separately.

Pay amounts in the P&L - these are determined by the accounts selected in the Pay items. The Salary Sacrifice pay item should have a liability payable account selected in the Linked payable account field:

image.png

This means that amounts paid to the Salary sacrifice pay item won't appear on the P&L. Only the amount paid to the Wages pay item will appear on the P&L. As salary sacrifice isn't a business expense it shouldn't be reported to an expense account, the wages amount is the business expense. If your salary sacrifice amount is appearing as a Superannuation expense I would recommend checking the pay item set up.

STP reporting - it is mandatory to report super guarantee and salary sacrifice through STP. This process reports those amounts to the ATO.

Clearing house - this is how you report and pay the super contributions to the super funds. You will still need to do this either through the Pay super service or through a clearing house of your choice. When you record the super payment transaction in your software, the payment amount is allocated to the liability payable account selected in the pay item. This clears the liability owing from the Balance Sheet.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.